Author Topic: Dearborn 1969 Boss 302  (Read 8001 times)

Offline Sluggo

• Dark Overlord
Dearborn 1969 Boss 302
« on: July 18, 2009, 01:45:35 AM »
Looking for information on where the demarcation would be for the black-out in the trunk gutters. Also whether the inside of the deck lid was all black or just the edges.

The deck I have to go by appears to have been repainted.

I used a base/clear blackout method on my Mach1 (sorry it's not concours) to aid in cleaning and upkeep. It turned out very nice. I used black base coat and mixed clear with deadening agent to achieve an eggshell finish (30% gloss).

All the black parts on the car were done the same way.

I taped it off while I was buffing the car. Some adhesive from the tape stayed on the black and I was able to use Acrysol to deal with the tape goo with no ill effect on the black. I also had to use the same method to remove some adhesive from the trunk filler after putting the trunk weather strip on.

Does it appear to have the correct sheen to it? The slats are a little glossier than the rest because they were painted a day or two after the rest.  It takes about 4 days for the clear to fully deaden.

MCA 55330 | 69 Mach1 | 427 Stroker | 29 Model A Murray Town Car | 4 Banger

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Dearborn 1969 Boss 302
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 02:57:01 AM »
Since this is a Dearborn car the corners are angled. Here are a few pictures of original 69 Boss 302 trunk opening pictures. Hope they help. (Both cars have original paint)

Don't forget the overspray. Can cover back side of taillight panel (have seen one original that was poorly papered off in this area) , trunk hinge mounts and trunk latch support ;)

Also (as you should have noticed) the bottom of the trunk lid was all black

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Sluggo

• Dark Overlord
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 09:54:02 PM »
Jeff,
Looks like the deck lid was painted in place before the weather strip and trap door prop parts were in place. Would the square nuts have been in place?

I'm assuming that this was done with trunk open and there would be a blue (body color) shadow behind the hinge. Am I correct in this assumption?

Finally, was the rear body panel painted as part of that step or were they done separately?

Thanks Jeff,

Randy
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 09:56:51 PM by sluggo »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 11:25:28 PM »
Jeff,
Looks like the deck lid was painted in place before the weather strip and trap door prop parts were in place. Would the square nuts have been in place?

Yes - guessing that the interior was not in the car at that time (hood and cowl were done later in the build process)

As for the square mounting nuts I don't think they were installed yet but could be wrong. Can't see then on a fold down car with everything installed (so my pictures don't share that detail) and can't swear I've looked at that detail while taking a Boss apart

I'm assuming that this was done with trunk open and there would be a blue (body color) shadow behind the hinge. Am I correct in this assumption?

Yes there is somewhat of a shadow on the support from the hinge way down low. Up higher no shadow, typically since the hinge arm was shot from both side so some overspray would have traveled down some to that area

Finally, was the rear body panel painted as part of that step or were they done separately?

Not sure what your referring to "Rear body panel". If you mean the taillight panel - same station (time) as the rest of the rear black details.

BTW on my car they placed a piece of masking tape (from the insides) over the marker hole so no black would pass through and allow overspray on the outside of the quarter panel. At least some of the painters must have put on a fair amount of black in the trunk area
Jeff Speegle

Offline Sluggo

• Dark Overlord
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 12:43:45 AM »

Not sure what your referring to "Rear body panel". If you mean the taillight panel - same station (time) as the rest of the rear black details.

BTW on my car they placed a piece of masking tape (from the insides) over the marker hole so no black would pass through and allow overspray on the outside of the quarter panel. At least some of the painters must have put on a fair amount of black in the trunk area

Taillight panel is what I was referring to.

In order for you to know that they taped off the marker holes, I'm gonna guess that there was at least a light bit of over spray that reached that area from the painting process and that it left a "witness" once the tape was pulled.
Was it from spraying the hinge mounts, blew in though the taillight holes, or from painting the gutter area on the taillight panel?

Thanks again,

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 02:09:41 AM »

In order for you to know that they taped off the marker holes, I'm gonna guess that there was at least a light bit of over spray that reached that area from the painting process and that it left a "witness" once the tape was pulled.

Yes on my Boss (30K original miles - trunk was unpainted though the rest had been :(

Was it from spraying the hinge mounts, blew in though the taillight holes, or from painting the gutter area on the taillight panel?

Hard to say and I guess it does not really matter - would guess the taillight panel and lip. Some of the cars appear to have had the taillight panel masked off ( a few pages of paper hung from the top and behind the trunk latch support) and the overspray around the paper was pretty heavy (covered very well)

Not something I've ever seen reproduced on a restored car yet
Jeff Speegle