Author Topic: Master cylinder paint  (Read 712 times)

Offline lathamjr

Master cylinder paint
« on: July 16, 2016, 11:01:24 PM »
I've been given the advice that my 65 manual drum master cylinder and cap should be semi-gloss black. What paint does well on the these parts? I've thought about POR15 but would like to know what has actually worked well. The only paint I've seen dedicated for the master cylinder is the Eastwood gray. I prefer to have it the correct color.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 03:55:10 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Master cylinder paint
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 03:51:21 PM »
I've been given the advice that my 65 manual drum master cylinder and cap should be semi-gloss black. What paint does well on the these parts? I've thought about POR15 but would like to know what has actually worked well. The only paint I've seen dedicated for the master cylinder is the Eastwood gray. I prefer to have it the correct color.

Would not use POR on any restoration. INHO just about any semi-gloss black will do the job and make touch up (if needed) easy. Also consider that if everything is right your not going to be bothered by leaking and splashing of brake fluid while at the same time most/many owners use silicon based fluid in a fresh restoration.

All of these work together for an acceptable and workable solution and outcome
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 03:56:22 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Smokey 15

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 05:34:56 PM »
 I agree with Jeff. I switch every vehicle I restore, or replace the brake system in, to silicone.

Offline OldMustangGuy

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 12:05:26 AM »
I've started using epoxy primer reduced 25%-50% (depending on ambient temp and humidity when painting as well as the level of gloss that you are trying for). It's impervious to brake fluid and other fluids and is tough as nails.