Author Topic: 70 Ported Vacuum Switches (PVS) Distributor Vacuum Control  (Read 11712 times)

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
Re: 70 Ported Vacuum Switches (PVS) Distributor Vacuum Control
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2016, 03:41:30 PM »
Interesting Scott.  If there was another facility with K then that would be a really good indicator of what these markings are.  A good possibility.
These guys still in business? 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2016, 04:47:03 PM »
Mine is dated 8-H-69.  I got this on eBay, it was installed in a 429 thermostat housing.  Not pretty, but it was cheap and filled the empty spot.  Also a great date for my Sept 19th, 1969 engine assembly date.

*I can try to get a better picture of it, if there is interest.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 04:49:59 PM by Mike_B_SVT »
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2016, 07:30:12 PM »
Mike...thats good info.  Since yours is August 69 date code that shows us the D0 version appeared even earlier than what we were thinking.  For sure there is an overlap between the two versions in the August and September 1969 time frame.

As for the K marking on these switches I heard from Bruce Klier who looked up some information and came up with the idea these could have been manufactured at the Kalamazoo facility.  Eaton bought Dole in 1963 and apparently they had a facility in Kalamazoo....so that could be our infamous K marking.   
Marcus Anghel

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2016, 08:13:16 PM »
Mike...thats good info.  Since yours is August 69 date code that shows us the D0 version appeared even earlier than what we were thinking.  For sure there is an overlap between the two versions in the August and September 1969 time frame.

Yes it appears that the maker continued to make the C8 and DO at the same time. Possibly one style at one plant (the H site) while having changed to the new version/design at the other site - K site

...........  Eaton bought Dole in 1963 and apparently they had a facility in Kalamazoo....so that could be our infamous K marking.   

Not sure how that would work (just discussing things ;)  considering the example you posted of the 1970 dated DOLE version  unless they purchased and continued to use the DOLE name up to 7 years after the sale.

Good discussion and sharing
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline sah62

• Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 05:44:59 PM »
Apparently Dole did have a manufacturing plant in a city whose name began with "H" (Hanover, IL). Still nothing on "K", though.

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1968/12/17/page/59/article/assure-new-center-for-dole-valve

So I was just reading the Boss 302 engine detailing article in the April 2017 issue of Mustang Monthly. The article describes the ported vacuum switch, noting that the date codes used a "middle character representing the manufacturing plant - H for Hanover, Illinois, and K for Kalamazoo, Michigan". Does that put this question to bed?
Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 Calypso Coral R-Code Mach 1 (10/69 T)
2019 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2017, 05:53:37 PM »
So I was just reading the Boss 302 engine detailing article in the April 2017 issue of Mustang Monthly. The article describes the ported vacuum switch, noting that the date codes used a "middle character representing the manufacturing plant - H for Hanover, Illinois, and K for Kalamazoo, Michigan". Does that put this question to bed?

Since its a single source I guess the question would be where the information came from or how it was reached.  Not trying to be picky but I think we owe it the hobby (since our sites are were people come to find out information) to do a bit of peer review and we should all expect the same of our self ;)  Except Marcus will see this comment and respond - if not I'll email him (he's busy trying to get a car finished) and ask.   If we don't do some fact checking then we're likely to lead some astray or we'll be changing back and forth which isn't a good thing either.

In the mean time I guess I need to check to see if I have any other letters stamped on any of the later ones than the H or K
Jeff Speegle

Offline SCJSTU

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2017, 12:33:56 AM »
Great discussion here.  I will add a few comments.

Understand that there is a focus on 1970 for these PVS, but these were actually used starting in late 1967.  I have date codes of the C8 version that show that so would seem for the 1968 model year they started using this.

The changeover date from the C8 to the D0 version seems to probably be about September 1969 as I have both versions with those date codes.

One of the original manufacturers most likely was Dole (see below).  They were making various control valves and thermostats at the time so maybe the other vendor was also manufacturing thermostats.  Could be a possibility since they are complimentary products.

The pictures I have here is of an original NOS unit I bought to see both the finish and to show who the manufacturer was at the time.  Its identical to the Ford switches we are talking about, stamped in 1970, and marked the same way.   

D

Marcus, I have a switch with the lines thru the date code like you show but think it has Ford logo....will have to dig it up at work
1969 Shelby GT350 convertible  4spd-AC built 1-27-69
1967 Mustang S-Code 4-speed built Jan 1967 non therm
1956 Ford F100 Big Window 392 Hemi

1961 Falcon 2 Door Station Wagon 302V8
2004 Mach 1 Azure Blue

Offline C9ZZ-16228-B

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2017, 12:50:18 AM »
I'll add my 1.5 cents...

'67 had a ported vacuum switch too, that was built on top of the intake water elbow.  It was used on 289's with T/E and A/C.  Looking at the ones i have i couldn't find any date codes.

The earliest C8AE-A valve i have is 7-H-67.  The latest C8AE-A is 9-H-69.

The earliest D0AE-A valve i have is 7-H-69.  The latest D0AE-A (pat pend) is 3-H-71.

It appears there were two different molds at the Hanover plant being used simultaneously as I have both small and large letter C8AE-A and small and large letter D0AE-A.

I have two Pat Pend D0AE-A (one small letter, one large letter) with no date stampings.

I have one valve that is from the same mold as the small letter D0AE-A but is blank where the engineering number and "Ford" normally is, and has a date code of 11-79 with H-1934 beneath it (or above it, as it is stamped into the brass base upside-down.)

It would be my guess that Hanover was the supplier for San Jose, as I only have 2 Kalamazoo valves (dated 9-K-67 and 3-K-69) versus about 30 Hanover valves.

There is also a D3OE-A2A 2-port valve used in 1973 that screwed into the side of the intake water elbow, for the sake of thoroughness.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2017, 12:59:20 AM »
I'll add my 1.5 cents...

'67 had a ported vacuum switch too, that was built on top of the intake water elbow.  It was used on 289's with T/E and A/C.  Looking at the ones i have i couldn't find any date codes.

That style has been discussed in a couple of other threads and not included in this discussion because of where its located and the title focus

It would be my guess that Hanover was the supplier for San Jose, as I only have 2 Kalamazoo valves (dated 9-K-67 and 3-K-69) versus about 30 Hanover valves.

Must report that I've found about an equal number of K and H D0 style on San Jose built cars. Lets remember that the valves were installed at the engine plant so where the engine was installed likely has nothing to do where the engines were installed at.
Jeff Speegle

Offline C9ZZ-16228-B

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2017, 01:22:11 AM »
Must report that I've found about an equal number of K and H D0 style on San Jose built cars. Lets remember that the valves were installed at the engine plant so where the engine was installed likely has nothing to do where the engines were installed at.

Ah, good point, Jeff. 

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2017, 11:13:28 PM »

I can pretty much guarantee that if you look at these vacuum switches you will not find them labeled any other way.  K and H.  And if we know the manufacturer now....and they had two assembly plants in these two locations seems to all fit in place. 
If anyone has same or different information just let us know.   
Marcus Anghel

Offline ClevelandKid

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2017, 11:23:19 AM »
Not sure if it makes any difference how the vacuum lines are hooked up to the ported vacuum switch but it goes in alphabetical order from the top down. C,D,I. Carburetor, Distributer, Intake. I have a diagram that shows this  but can't seem to find it at the moment.
Mustang country. Get the women,kids and Chevys off the streets.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2017, 06:04:45 PM »
Not sure if it makes any difference how the vacuum lines are hooked up to the ported vacuum switch but it goes in alphabetical order from the top down. C,D,I. Carburetor, Distributor, Intake. I have a diagram that shows this  but can't seem to find it at the moment.

Believe it depends on the year and application. Unfortunately I don't have all the 70 versions to share - that is why there are not articles in the Library for 70-73 yet like their are for the earlier years.

As far as the other question Scott proposed at this time, for lack of a better answer and celebrating the efforts that have taken place I'm fine with the manufacturing plant identifier being represented by the middle character in the stamping until and if something better comes along ;)  And have updated the date coding article in the Library to reflect this new information.  Just have to put the newest version and reset the links.

So do we know if there was two suppliers - each with their different plant or one supplier with two plants?  I would guess its the two supplier since that would follow Fords normal practices through the years. 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 07:13:34 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2017, 02:50:00 PM »
Found an overlap of dates between the C8AE (August 69) and D0AE (July 69) on ported vacuum switches.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2017, 06:11:09 PM »
Found an overlap of dates between the C8AE (August 69) and D0AE (July 69) on ported vacuum switches.

Thanks - for sharing
Jeff Speegle