Author Topic: Correct D8 interior for 65 Convertible?  (Read 3184 times)

Offline PJL

Correct D8 interior for 65 Convertible?
« on: August 10, 2016, 01:27:58 PM »
Hello,
 I have an early 65 convertible with color C (Honey Gold) and trim D8. Depending on what source i use D8 translates to either White with Ivy Gold Appointments or Parchment with Ivy Gold Appointments.
 What is correct, White or Parchment?
 My car has a white interior with Ivy Gold Carpet, Seat Belts, Speaker/Defroster panel and Windshield Dash Trim. But the Dash Pad is black. Should the Dash Pad not be Ivy Gold also or is black correct?

Please see attached picures for details.

Best regards.
Per-Johan
MCA # 102113
CMC, Sweden # 5222
65 Convertible, 289 2v, Aut, Color C / Honey Gold, Trim D8 / White w/Ivy Gold App.

Offline jwc66k

Re: Correct D8 interior for 65 Convertible?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 04:28:26 PM »
Depending on what source i use D8 translates to either White with Ivy Gold Appointments or Parchment with Ivy Gold Appointments.
What is correct, White or Parchment?
The answer is yes, or rather they are one in the same - almost. Parchment was an off white color term used in 1965 and 66. What you are "stuck" with is suppliers can't make up their minds.
My car has a white interior with Ivy Gold Carpet, Seat Belts, Speaker/Defroster panel and Windshield Dash Trim. But the Dash Pad is black. Should the Dash Pad not be Ivy Gold also or is black correct?
The dash should be Palomino, as are carpets, belts, trim, etc. If you are confused about the white/parchment colors, this will make it worse. I would assume the black dash pad was installed because Palomino dash pads are not currently reproduced. There are companies that can dye a dash pad but I don't know if Palomino is a color they can do or the cost.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline PJL

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 05:11:34 PM »
The answer is yes, or rather they are one in the same - almost. Parchment was an off white color term used in 1965 and 66. What you are "stuck" with is suppliers can't make up their minds. The dash should be Palomino, as are carpets, belts, trim, etc. If you are confused about the white/parchment colors, this will make it worse. I would assume the black dash pad was installed because Palomino dash pads are not currently reproduced. There are companies that can dye a dash pad but I don't know if Palomino is a color they can do or the cost.
Jim

Hm, Not sure i follow you. The trim code D8 is White / Parchment with Ivy Gold Appointments. Ivy Gold is a "green" color and i have that color on carpets, belts etc. but not the dash.  What i can see from different pictures is Palomino a beige / light brown color.  A dash in Ivy Gold makes sense to me but not Palomino.  I am probably misunderstanding something in your reply :)
Regards,
Per-Johan
MCA # 102113
CMC, Sweden # 5222
65 Convertible, 289 2v, Aut, Color C / Honey Gold, Trim D8 / White w/Ivy Gold App.

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 06:12:16 PM »
If it is anything like my Mustang in high school that had a similar interior code but white with blue; the dash pad, seatbelts, and carpet should be ivy gold and everything else would be white.  Your console should also be white I believe as well.  I also have a honey gold mustang but I have interior code 28
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline Panther

• Bronze Level Subscriber
    • Early Mustang
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 11:58:44 AM »
As far as i know and relating to "The Mustang and Cougar Tagbook" from Kevin Marti, in 1965 every Interior Code starting with D and F had a white interior with colored appointments.
In 1966, for D and F it changed from white to parchment, which is slightly darker than white.

It's more complicated with some of the interior codes starting with 6, where the seats and the doors are two-tone colored.
In 1965 only white was used (f.e. 62-blue and white). In 1966 there were codes using white (62-blue and white, 67-aqua and white, 68 ivy gold and white) and one code using parchment (64-emberglo and parchment).

About your dash: Yes it should be Ivy Gold.

Hope that helps.

Paul
6R07C214274
65A 8 D6 11F 71 6 6

Certified MCA Judge 1964.5-1966

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 03:27:21 PM »
Dash pad should be green like mine below but you will have to dye it as they don't make green dash pads.  Mine is original.
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline mustang seppl

• ´66 convertible,
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 07:12:11 PM »
Hey,
I'm new here and I have a car like in the first post.
My car was produced at the same day, 10 august 1964.  ;)
I found a paper sheet with details about the colors for interior details.
My only question is, which color is the right for the convertible top boot.

Best regards
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 07:33:31 PM by carlite65 »
'65 convertible ivy green
'66 convertible arcadian blue

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 08:11:02 PM »
Hey,
I'm new here and I have a car like in the first post.
My car was produced at the same day, 10 august 1964.  ;)
I found a paper sheet with details about the colors for interior details.
My only question is, which color is the right for the convertible top boot.

Best regards
Welcome to the forum. Your top boot should be the same color as the top. Your data plate is a bit difficult to read so could you write out the details. I see the D8 and DSO of 72 but the rest is blurry. (A side note, those rivet are incorrect.)
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 10:13:11 PM »
Jwc66k ,
   Were did you get the info that the top boot should be the color of the top? My 65 convertibles top boot is Ivy green and my top is white.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 09:31:28 PM by mgmradio »
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 12:19:22 AM »
Jwc66k ,
   Were did you get the info that the top boot should be the color of the top? My 65 convertibles top boot is Ivey green and my top is white.
A friend with a 65 convertible stopped by Saturday and we removed the white boot to take some reference pictures of his white top partially raised. It was the original, still in good condition, but was going to be replaced with a new one, the old to be "carefully" stored. There were only three standard top colors, black, white and parchment. I don't believe Ford had a mix and match policy.
Jim

Offline mustang seppl

• ´66 convertible,
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 04:18:09 AM »
Was the top boot a dealer option?
If yes, the color doesn't matter, our not?

There the data plate.
'65 convertible ivy green
'66 convertible arcadian blue

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 10:16:12 AM »
Jwc66k,
   The top boot is color keyed to the main interior color not the color of the top. If the major color is red the boot is red. If it's Ivey green and white the boot is Ivey green. Etc...
  Mike
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 12:47:15 PM »
Just for some that don't know.. On some '64 1/2 and Early '65 cars.....Blue was also an available factory top color.   This has been confirmed.   Tan and Red were never available originally either and were only in the aftermarket as "replacements".

:0)

Tony K.
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 01:56:11 PM »
Jwc66k,
   The top boot is color keyed to the main interior color not the color of the top. If the major color is red the boot is red. If it's Ivey green and white the boot is Ivey green. Etc...
  Mike
I did a quick look at some period Ford sales literature and found nothing about what color the boot would be. On the other hand, a color coded to the interior to the boot would be more eye appealing, blue and ivy being the other colors.
Just for some that don't know.. On some '64 1/2 and Early '65 cars.....Blue was also an available factory top color.   This has been confirmed.   
Found that looking thru the sale stuff.
Tan and Red were never available originally either and were only in the aftermarket as "replacements".
Tony K.
That sounds right, sort of. Why Ford would not have those colors is anybody's guess.
Jim
--------------------
Mike,
Jwc66k ,
Jwc66k,
Mike
I make it a point of signing my name to posts, specifically for replies to be more personal. You did once. Please observe this technique.
Thanks.

Offline stangerdude

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 03:56:42 PM »
Hi All, back to the first question on the dash pad. The color should be Ivy Gold. I have restored quite a few in this color combo and the original color of the dash pad was a slightly darker shade of Ivy than the paint on the doors. If the upper dash trim and speaker/defroster grill have not been repainted, that would be your guide on the color. Look on the back sides of those parts for a non faded sample of the correct color. Dashes direct makes a neutral color dash pad with no protectant specifically for dying. I have used Drake V-5756 (very close even though it is for 68-69) vinyl dye in light coats with a heavier final coat with excellent results. Check color first as Drake seems to change shades as people argue about it!! Hope this helps the OP. As for the top boot, all the "original" boots I have seen over the years have been color keyed to the interior. Paul
68 GT Fastback San Jose built