Author Topic: Paint Matching on a 73 Convertible with Ginger Interior  (Read 1876 times)

Offline rackerm

Paint Matching on a 73 Convertible with Ginger Interior
« on: August 13, 2016, 01:35:38 AM »
I am new to the forum. I am restoring a 73 Mustang convertible with deluxe ginger interior.  I have been able to find interior spray dye/paint to match the ginger dash, console, kick panels, etc. I used a Med. Ginger spray dye/paint with good results, BUT I have not been able to find a Ginger color light enough to match the plastic rear quarters, which are lighter in color than the dash and console etc. It looks like Ford used a lighter ginger color on the rear quarters and seat back panels to better match the seats, windlace and door panels. The plastic seat back panels are also the same lighter ginger again to match the seat material that surrounds them. The med. ginger dye/paint I used to paint the dash and console is too dark for these panels, as you can see in the attached picture. I have tried three different brands of medium ginger dyes (AccuMatch, Rainbow, Omni-Pak Lacquer) and none of them match these panels. All the Mustang parts suppliers have for 71-73 is dark and medium ginger. Has anyone found the right lighter ginger dye to match their 71-73 rear quarters and seat back panels? Thanks

Offline nham3407

Re: Paint Matching on a 73 Convertible with Ginger Interior
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 03:15:00 PM »
Not sure if some sun fade may be contributing to your dilemma. I would not imagine the use of 2 different shades of ginger being done by Ford.  The fewer colors to deal with the lesser inventory to store and the greater supplier consistency.  If you are determined to match that color you may need to have a custom mix done for you at a paint supplier.

I would tend to believe sun fade is the issue and the dash area is a little more protected from UV by the windshield.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 03:59:48 PM by nham3407 »
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 05:07:51 PM »
No answer or experience with that color combination

But found a couple of pictures that I hope can help in some way. Unfortunately colors and contrast can't be relied on over the internet

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rackerm

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 02:09:40 AM »
Thanks for the pictures and feedback. I appreciate everyone taking the time to share their thoughts. Sun fading is always a possibility. To avoid that possibility I made my comparison using the inside of the panels. In looking at the pictures provided, the first and third picture the qtr panel does appear to match the vinyl boot cover and the door panel and not the carpet so much. I think I'll recreate the same view and see how they compare.

I may need to go the custom color mix route as suggested.

Thanks again!