Author Topic: Suspension color markings (Red sun roof 68 XR7-G, X code, DSO 84 )  (Read 2300 times)

Offline 1eracer

8)  Mostly looking for paint code markings for coil, leaf springs, & sway bar ?      Any other paint code markings for other suspension parts would be of help too.    I Appreciate any help from you all !      Eric
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 12:40:06 PM by 1eracer »
1990 Project ( second built Red sun roof 68 XR7-G, X code, DSO 84 ).     First car-67 mustang bracket racer 427 S. O.     Next project 68 Cal Special with a Boss 302, 4 speed.

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
Re: Suspension color markings (Red sun roof 68 XR7-G, X code, DSO 84 )
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 05:33:39 PM »
I am guessing that your Cougar is a 6.5 Litre, meaning a non-GT? A lot of the Cougar information hasn't been collected. XR7-G's all came from Dearborn, Michigan. You might have better luck asking your question at the classiccougarcommunity.com

Have you looked for a build sheet?
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 07:47:37 PM »
Going to be tough finding a copy of a car similar to yours for the front and rear springs

Would suggest that you

1- find and include the engineering number from the rear springs so that someone with a differently optioned car but with the same springs can offer usable help.

2- Measure the front sway bar so that others can provide marking info from other applications but with the same sway bar. (my guess would be green/yellow)

3- Driveline markings could be taken from another 390 automatic (X or S)  built at the same time so you'll need to provide when the car was completed from a Marti report.

As mentioned above - finding your cars buildsheet will answer a fair number of your questions and will eliminate questions and reduce guessing ;)

Welcome to the site
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 1eracer

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 07:07:19 AM »
  Thanks for the Replies.    I still need to get my Marti report done.    I did find the original front coil spring paint marking from sanding.   It was just one white mark on the inner side of the coil.   The sway bar is the 15/16" version.    Also, no build sheet was ever found   >:(     
1990 Project ( second built Red sun roof 68 XR7-G, X code, DSO 84 ).     First car-67 mustang bracket racer 427 S. O.     Next project 68 Cal Special with a Boss 302, 4 speed.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 08:45:57 PM »
The white mark you found was likely sprayed on rather than brush and a rating mark (over or under the prescribed numbers) rather than an identifying mark. But great that you found something
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)