Author Topic: 1968-1969 wood grain shift knob  (Read 3591 times)

Offline thumphries

1968-1969 wood grain shift knob
« on: September 19, 2016, 03:38:09 PM »
This is obviously a picture of a 1968-1969 wood grain, 4-speed shift knob. There was also a solid black shift knob with white numbers. Is the wood grain shift knob correct for cars equipped with the deluxe wood grain interior? I've seen them on standard interior cars too, but I assume those are just incorrect.

1967 C-Code Fastback, San Jose, July 1967
1968 J-Code GT Fastback, San Jose, Dec 1967
2014 5.0 Track Pack, Flatrock, Feb 2013

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1968-1969 wood grain shift knob
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 03:50:05 PM »
This is obviously a picture of a 1968-1969 wood grain, 4-speed shift knob. There was also a solid black shift knob with white numbers. Is the wood grain shift knob correct for cars equipped with the deluxe wood grain interior? I've seen them on standard interior cars too, but I assume those are just incorrect.
Typically deluxe interior.  Flat top "3" more correct.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline thumphries

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 04:02:25 PM »
Thank you.

Does "typically" mean it was inconsistent from the factories? 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 04:57:10 PM »
Thank you.

Does "typically" mean it was inconsistent from the factories?

Normally no. It's just our (well many of us) way of saying that we believe that is the way they were suppose to be built and believe the vast majority were built and not have to fight those "you can't say always or never" discussions ;) Even though we would love to use those terms at times

If there is a inconsistency that is trackable (trends, change in supplier or practice.........) we try and include that or state that, but if an owner or restorer has nothing historical to base a difference choice on they are better served IMHO to go with the "typical" or "normal" common practice  :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline thumphries

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 05:47:37 PM »
Okay Sir,

Understood, thank you very much for the education and the clarification.

This shift knob is kind of an interesting piece, I like the efforts by Ford to match the wood grain interiors, but the le mans stripe looking design on its face is a little curious. It seems like it would be more appropriate on Shelbys that came with the overhead stripes as opposed to normal Mustangs and GTs which never did. Does anyone know why they chose this design over the standard black shift knob?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 05:56:57 PM »
This shift knob is kind of an interesting piece, I like the efforts by Ford to match the wood grain interiors, but the le mans stripe looking design on its face is a little curious. It seems like it would be more appropriate on Shelby's that came with the overhead stripes as opposed to normal Mustangs and GTs which never did. Does anyone know why they chose this design over the standard black shift knob?

Just for clarity 67-up Shelby's didn't receive Lemans stripes from the factory and they are two wide stripes rather than the "rally" type stripes (more like the rocker stripes used on 65-67 & 69 GT, some GT40's and 65-68 Shelby's)  that is depicted on the shifter knob in the discussion.

Why Ford designers choose this is anyone's guess. Would guess it was the influence of the pop culture and what was going on in that world at the time or just reusing a design that they may have already copywrote and was familiar to Mustang owners
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 05:59:14 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 06:23:40 PM »
Okay Sir,

This shift knob is kind of an interesting piece, I like the efforts by Ford to match the wood grain interiors, but the le mans stripe looking design on its face is a little curious. It seems like it would be more appropriate on Shelbys that came with the overhead stripes as opposed to normal Mustangs and GTs which never did. Does anyone know why they chose this design over the standard black shift knob?
As Jeff mentioned only the 65 and 66 Shelby's came with the over the top stripe and then it was a option . Only about 45%of the 65 Gt350's got them at the factory and less in 66. 67,68 or 69/70 Shelby production did NOT come with over the top stripes nor was it a option. A likely association if not for the pesky facts. I am not sure why Ford chose the rally stripe on the knob. I not sure if it is pertinent but the blue rally stripe historically represented the USA.   Maybe others have more info.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 12:44:22 PM »
Okay Sir,

Well I guess you had to be there but in this time frame everything got rally stripes.  Jackets, T shirts, hats, cars and surfboards.  Logical reasoning did not enter the picture.  Brian
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 12:47:30 PM by Brian Conway »
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 01:59:59 PM »
And lest we not forget the groovy, far out skateboards at the time (remember these before the Le Mans stripes on the Shelby's - had my priorities dialed in at the time)....
VR/
-Lance

SJ Build Date: 1/6
'66 Fstbk: 63A M 25 06A 71 1 6
Many Original Options

Offline thumphries

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 08:43:31 PM »
Good points all, thanks for humoring me on the "why" this design was selected.

As I look at it more closely it's clear you guys are right, there are actually three stripes and it's obviously a rocker stripe not a Le Mans stripe.

For the record I'm tracking the '69/'70 Shelby's didn't have Le Mans stripes, I was picturing the striped shift knob being at home in a '68 Shelby with overhead stripes.

Anyway, whatever reason the designers at Ford chose it, I'm a fan, I like that it matches the wood grain interior and it's just more interesting than the black shift ball.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 09:15:59 PM »
Good points all, thanks for humoring me on the "why" this design was selected.

As I look at it more closely it's clear you guys are right, there are actually three stripes and it's obviously a rocker stripe not a Le Mans stripe.

For the record I'm tracking the '69/'70 Shelby's didn't have Le Mans stripes, I was picturing the striped shift knob being at home in a '68 Shelby with overhead stripes.

Anyway, whatever reason the designers at Ford chose it, I'm a fan, I like that it matches the wood grain interior and it's just more interesting than the black shift ball.
FYI the 69 Shelby was engineered to have the Cougar all woodgrained knob but in the real world some got the Mach I knob too. I have seen numerous low mile originals over the years that had the Mach I knob. It has been extra hard to determine if authentic to a car because the Mach I knob was default knob chosen when many cars got restored. I have wanted to deduct because I felt the choice many times was simply done because the owner/restorer didn't know any better but given the reality of some that got used it wouldn't be fair.  Ether one is acceptable in concours judging .