Author Topic: 67 390 GT engine restoration pics  (Read 8987 times)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 67 390 GT engine restoration pics
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2016, 12:18:18 AM »
Jeff I should have been more clear all of the bolts and hardware on this engine is what came to me with the car and have been replated and refinished. As I received it the a/c compressor was not mounted on the engine and was just parts in a box. Since it is an unusual washer (thick) and was with the car  and matched the assembly manual I used it, my goal is to assemble the best time frame and plant correct engine that I can so any help and direction is very much appreciated, Paul. Also I did not include a yellow paint mark that I found on the end of the air pump shaft is this something that has been seen before ?
Mainly it has migrated from one restoration to another IMO. I am not sure where it started. Could have been some but not on the majority IMO. Yellow not typically seen on unmolested smog pumps from what I have seen.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline specialed

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2016, 11:32:50 AM »
RH smog check valve is the much  later type or aftermarket totally different design should be fomoco marked c6az  big nipple  type like the lh long tube.  What about the blue painted rear booster steel tube as the later big block tubes are raw steel since they were not painted on engine added later like the rear brass fitting it screws to depending on if power brake option?   Also rh manifold missing c4az fitting that presses in bottom for the auto choke tubes . I have smog check valve & chrome dipstick if needed.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 11:46:31 AM by specialed »

Offline preaction

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2016, 04:57:59 PM »
Thanks specialed, There is a lot to look at but I did mistakenly paint the brake booster vacuum steel tube. I am also still waiting for a choke stove kit for the rh manifold. Also I  do have the correct check valve I'm not sure how that happened.  After some more looking I found in the 67 electrical assembly manual on page 63 a hose routing guide for a 390 a/c set up and there it clearly shows the hose routing for the heater core and it also has the two piece water pump outlet, there is also a illustration of this on page 30 where both parts are pointed to individually I never really noticed this before.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 10:22:02 PM by preaction »
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline BKnapp

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2016, 08:58:20 AM »
Quick question regarding the spark plug wires. I see you have the plastic heat sleeves. Did the non-smog have those as well? I just received a set of wires from Marti Auto and they don't have them. Did yours come with them, or did you have to add them ?  Can I just use shrink tubing?

Thanks!
Bill

‘67 390 Coupe A/T  P/S  P/B. (Built 1/4/1967)  7R01S145xxx
‘67 390 FB A/T P/S P/B (Built 3/10/1967) 7F02S173xxx
2007 Shelby GT500 40th Anniv.  Convert. #125

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2016, 09:41:23 AM »
Quick question regarding the spark plug wires. I see you have the plastic heat sleeves. Did the non-smog have those as well? I just received a set of wires from Marti Auto and they don't have them. Did yours come with them, or did you have to add them ?  Can I just use shrink tubing?

Thanks!
The sleeves were typically only used on engines with thermactor tubes. They were meant to help keep the hot tubes from burning unprotected spark plug wires. No thermactor tubes no sleeves.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2016, 03:29:21 AM »
Paul,
Looks pretty good to my eye. I am glad the paint I sourced for you worked out well. Did you use the flattening agent, or spray it as is?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2016, 07:07:10 PM »
Quick question regarding the spark plug wires. I see you have the plastic heat sleeves. Did the non-smog have those as well?

For others reading this thread for this year and application - yes as Bob posted. For other years and engines you can find them used on non-Thermactor engines - just easier to order, inventory and handle one style than multiple different styles

...........Can I just use shrink tubing?

Thickness of the material is very different IMHO
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline preaction

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2016, 08:10:10 PM »
Paul,
Looks pretty good to my eye. I am glad the paint I sourced for you worked out well. Did you use the flattening agent, or spray it as is?
I did use the flattener and it worked very well, does it seem to bright ? The good thing is there is enough left over to paint another engine.

Offline preaction

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2016, 11:40:10 PM »
I thought so but wanted clarification so as not to be impolite. Did you get all of your bolts from AMK. If so they must be running out of some of the ones in the past that had assemblyline makers marks. For instance the compressor to bracket bolts previously came with the RBW markings. Most others are different too. Not a big deal unless thoroughbred. Just icing on the cake for other classes. Pic 1 missing star washer on ground bolt ,finish on bolt and washer although not always but more typically IMO gold ,Drain plug on oil pan should be painted. Pic 2, Motor mount should not be all black. Pic 6, 68 +  style W/P heater hose fitting ,center washer and bolt on compressor clutch although not always but more typically gold finish.  Pic 7, A/C brackets are hard to see but they should not be painted all black. The bracket is bare cast iron ,The pulley is black but and the center bearing cover of pulley should be silver . Pic 8,compressor valve should be all silver, P/S dipstick is 68+ type,no staples on valve cover gasket ,wrong P/S upper pressure hose,wrong appearing special bolt in lift hook,oil dipstick missing scabbard. Pic 9,ground bolt and missing star washer more typically gold finish. The engine detail looks very good +1 and comments are meant in a helpful way to make a great job even better from a historical standpoint. These are a few of the items that stand out in my mind for a appropriate concours trailered evaluation point of view. There are others but more of nuance details better suited for thoroughbred discussion . Others may see different. I hope this is helpful.
Bob, could give me an idea of what is needed for a 67 p/s dip stick, this one has writing stamped on the dip in end and on the handle.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2016, 01:35:27 AM »
Bob, could give me an idea of what is needed for a 67 p/s dip stick, this one has writing stamped on the dip in end and on the handle.
The printing stamped on the finger pull handle identify's a 67 P/S dipstick. 

Offline BKnapp

Re: 67 390 GT restoration pics
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2017, 11:32:01 AM »
  http://mansfieldmustang.com/EngineHBC.html  -heat hose fitting . Even though he list them for 67 GT500 I have always found the ones for my needs on 390 Mustangs in the junk yards.

Was the fitting painted with the engine? I am sure I have come across the answer in another post, but cannot find it so I apologize in advance. Judging by the rust on mine I am guessing it was not painted, but would like to clean it up before I put it back together.

Thanks
Bill

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 67 390 GT restoration pics
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2017, 01:06:04 PM »
Was the fitting painted with the engine? I am sure I have come across the answer in another post, but cannot find it so I apologize in advance. Judging by the rust on mine I am guessing it was not painted, but would like to clean it up before I put it back together.

Thanks
The heater hose fittings were added after the engine was painted so not painted.

Offline BKnapp

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2017, 01:36:23 PM »
As always....thanks!
Bill