Author Topic: Fold down seat paint - 70 NJ  (Read 5128 times)

Offline joe747

Fold down seat paint - 70 NJ
« on: July 05, 2010, 10:26:24 PM »
was the back panel of the fold down seat put in the car after it got painted . mine is the same colour of the car . my car came from N.J plant
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 05:50:33 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: fold down seat paint
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 09:01:39 PM »
Back panel of the fold-down door matches the interior color of the car, so it had to be installed after the trunk was painted exterior color.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 09:14:39 PM »
was the back panel of the fold down seat put in the car after it got painted . mine is the same colour of the car . my car came from N.J plant

SO we have a 69 or 70 NJ car.

What color interior (makes a difference in the color of the trap door (they don't all match the interior color)  and by "back panel" are you asking about the trap door, panel directly under the rear window or or one of the interior back corner pieces?

None of these removable pieces would have originally been body color
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline joe747

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 10:11:48 PM »
it is my 70 nj car and the colour is med. metalic blue . my trap door and hinges are ( it is faded but it is the same colour the car) . it does not make sense that ford wood install, this part and paint it then try and put all the chrome , carpet etc .

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 12:06:23 AM »
The trap door, hinges nor any mounting hardware was in the car when the exterior color was applied
Jeff Speegle

Offline joe747

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 06:15:07 PM »
so was all that stuff painted black . maybe my car was repainted at some point and that is over spray that i see

Offline joe747

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 06:23:46 PM »
Back panel of the fold-down door matches the interior color of the car, so it had to be installed after the trunk was painted exterior color.

just checked  my fold down again and for sure it was painted blue from the factory . i think that the blue cars had the fold down  seat panels  painted blue seperatly off the car than istalled on the line after 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 11:14:58 PM »
so was all that stuff painted black . maybe my car was repainted at some point and that is over spray that i see

A couple of things

First are you asking about a blue exterior - black interior 70 Fastback?

Second - it wasn't really black but Dark Charcoal Metallic

Jeff Speegle

Offline joe747

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 08:45:39 AM »
A couple of things

First are you asking about a blue exterior - black interior 70 Fastback?

Second - it wasn't really black but Dark Charcoal Metallic

sorry i have a blue interior

Offline joe747

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 11:12:00 PM »
just read the m.m articl on fold down seat and one of the pics show a blue back panel and one gold

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 01:10:34 AM »
just read the m.m article on fold down seat and one of the pics show a blue back panel and one gold

Haven't seen the article

I would suggest that since the interior color is similar to the exterior color you might be mislead or an past owner (not that unusual) painted the trunk side body color to match the rest of the trunk

Here are some original examples from your year and plant. Sorry no blue on blue examples but these offer more contrast for demonstration

Jeff Speegle

Offline joe747

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 09:55:02 PM »
looks like all those cars you are showing must have black interior. my car haqs blue int. so the trap door has to be blue and it looks like all the folddown seat steel panels were paint to match the interior of the car . than assembled and put in the car . the paint is defently orginal

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 10:02:03 PM »
looks like all those cars you are showing must have black interior. my car haqs blue int...........

Sorry had some blue interior cars but no good shots of 70 NJ fastbacks from the trunk or they were non fold downs

The first one looks to be a Ginger interior in a gold car
Jeff Speegle

Offline rmaginnis

• December 2010
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 02:00:59 AM »
Jeff,
could it be that the door panel was painted to match/blend with the carpeting?  In the case of the ginger interior picture above, was the carpet ginger?
I saw a picture recently of a white interior car having the usual Charcoal trap door which of course matches the black carpeting.
Rick
Rick Maginnis
April, '70 Dearborn Boss 302
0F02G18xxxx

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Fold down seat paint - 70 NJ
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 09:10:53 PM »
Jeff,
could it be that the door panel was painted to match/blend with the carpeting?  ....................

70 is an odd year in this detail and as much may have to do to when the car was built. But of course the original question was the trap door matching the exterior color of the car ;)

Looking at original cars I can only offer (unfortunately for this survey there are allot of black interior cars built)

0F02F107749 - White interior with Charcoal trap door and panel below window. Similar pattern for white (though it lacks the two corners pieces being black) to 69 handling of the white interior.

0F05Q1105xx - Ginger interior and the trap door is ginger to other interior panels not the darker carpet

0F05R144530 - Ginger interior and the trap door is ginger to other interior panels not the darker carpet

0F05H111886 - Green interior and the trap door is green to other interior panels

0F05M119187 - Blue interior and the trap door is blue to other interior panels

0F05M122118 - Blue interior and the trap door is blue to other interior panels

0T02G114472 - Ginger interior and the trap door is ginger to other interior panels not the darker carpet

Just what I have

« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 05:50:48 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle