Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Drivetrain

Vacuum advance bad / 289 2 barrell ??

(1/4) > >>

Hipo giddyup:
As you see in my signature , this is in regards to my 67' coupe that still has it's original 289, 3 spd, 2V carb, and distributor all of which have been rebuilt. The distributor has a NOS vacuum advance unit and was rebuilt and tuned by a gentlemen in CA years ago on his SUN distributor machine. (He was well known for these rebuilds but has since retired from that years ago, darn I cannot remember his name!!). Anyway, I have noticed that the car sounds as if there is a miss every so often but if I disconnect the vacuum advance line it goes away and runs smoothly. Could this be a failed vacuum advance?? The carb was rebuilt years ago as well by Jon at Pony carbs and other than this miss, everything runs like a top. Maybe someone has experienced this before and could lead me into a fix or diagnosis before I go tearing down the distibutor or carb. :D

Scott302:
Jack Koger
Distributor Dynamics
California
Now retired.  Did a great job on distributors.

jwc66k:
I've got a phone number for them so send me a P/M if you're interested. No guarantees as I too, have heard they were "tapering off".
Jim

Brian Conway:
The miss is idling in the driveway, going down the road at speed, or somewhere in between ?  Vacuum adv. does not usually play a role in the spark plug firing. Before getting into the mechanical's I think I would be checking the vacuum line and then move onto the plugs, wires,cap and points. Brian

Hipo giddyup:
That was him!!! Jack Koger, excellent guy and had rebuilt several of my distributors. Thanks Scott302!

The miss is at idle but also when i hit the "spot" between getting off the gas and stepping on the gas, you gently feel a "bump" ever so slight. I actually drove the car to work today (it is supposed to be in the 80's in Maryland today), and i was thinking of disconnecting the vacuum line for the drive home to see if it makes any difference. You can't always reproduce it while driving. I was also wondering if this early 67' would have had a metal line or rubber vacuum hose? I just replaced and put back what i took off during the restoration and now fixing the incorrectness with the help of this site. ;)
I guess I'll ask that question back on the 67-68 section. It currently has a rubber hose I have yet to inspect it for a leak . Thanks for everyone's input.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version