Author Topic: 1967 GT 350 (Early 10/66) Front Caliper Bracket & Dust Shield - Correct Finish ?  (Read 5266 times)

Offline cmfuser01

What would be the correct finish on both the front caliper mounting bracket and dust shield?

Thanks -

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
What would be the correct finish on both the front caliper mounting bracket and dust shield?

Just the same as a 67 Sam Jose Mustang

Mount is a cast iron piece with freshly machined surfaces in a number of places. I use a light wipe of gun bluing and work it from there adding the machined highlights and finally oil to finish

Semi-gloss black for the dust shields
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline cmfuser01

Mount is a cast iron piece with freshly machined surfaces in a number of places. I use a light wipe of gun bluing and work it from there adding the machined highlights and finally oil to finish

Thanks Jeff.

I don't suppose you have any photos? Sorry, I had to ask.

I bought a set of reproductions but started to have second thoughts when mocking it all up. The originals aren't that bad (some pitting) and I noticed a lot of differences between them and the repros - not to mention most of the repros I've seen are painted black.

I hadn't noticed there was a Shelby specific board on this forum. In the future should I post here when posting about a Shelby even though the question may not be Shelby specific?

Thanks again.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
For clarification for those who may read in the future ,when you refer to the dust shields you are referring to the caliper dust shield ? or the rotor dust shield? In 67 there were two different type of caliper dust shields/ retainers
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline cmfuser01

For clarification for those who may read in the future ,when you refer to the dust shields you are referring to the caliper dust shield ? or the rotor dust shield? In 67 there were two different type of caliper dust shields/ retainers

Thanks Bob.

Ok - busted, I guess the right reference would be "rotor splash shield".

Maybe you could explain or point me to a thread about the caliper dust shields? I was aware there were different pad ("shoe and lining assemblies") retainers (referred to as "clips" in the shop manual). Do you mean the piston "dust boots"?

NOTE: Quoted text is from the shop manual just to indicate it was lifted from another source.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Must have a pretty early/low number GT350 there  :D Not allot of them got the early style of calipers by volumne

I bought a set of reproductions but started to have second thoughts when mocking it all up. The originals aren't that bad (some pitting) and I noticed a lot of differences between them and the repros - not to mention most of the repros I've seen are painted black.

Most of my examples would be rusty and aged since I don't normally keep pictures of restored cars. If I do its normally so I can use it to point out something incorrectly done rather than an example of correctness. Also if we posted "restored cars" then everyone would just copy them exactly taking away the range and variety that was the original car and eliminate the challenge, fun and discovery for the owner/builder that often expands our understanding and the hobby overall.

Guess you've already done a search and found this thread.

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=10708.0

Here is one picture of an unrestored car. Plenty has been changed or (calipers) rebuilt but dust shields appear that they might be unrestored and original. Got to love the cast blast spindles   ???  Have known the last two owners of this car

And just a general picture - same one as posted in the other thread

I hadn't noticed there was a Shelby specific board on this forum. In the future should I post here when posting about a Shelby even though the question may not be Shelby specific?

Its always a challenge where to post Shelby or Boss questions were the details really are also for Mustangs built at the same time and plant. Often I keep them separate until we see where the thread takes us and choose the best benefit (as to where it should rest) later.  No right or wrong - just a somewhat gray area.

we may at some point have to split the Shelby's out by year but will wait until its a big task   ::)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Thanks Bob.

Ok - busted, I guess the right reference would be "rotor splash shield".

Maybe you could explain or point me to a thread about the caliper dust shields? I was aware there were different pad ("shoe and lining assemblies") retainers (referred to as "clips" in the shop manual). Do you mean the piston "dust boots"?

NOTE: Quoted text is from the shop manual just to indicate it was lifted from another source.
The earliest 67 production cars regardless of if Shelby or regular Mustang (at least SJ) used the the same style caliper and pad retainer (caliper shield)as the 66 model (caliper picture reply #5). The early 67 caliper "dust shield" pad retainer would be semi gloss black. I would guess that the changeover to the brake pad retaining clips happened at the same time the calipers transitioned to the larger hose fitting inlet style. The typical 67 disc brake pad retainer clip was a Phosphate and Oil finish.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline cmfuser01

1.) Must have a pretty early/low number GT350 there  :D Not allot of them got the early style of calipers by volumne

Most of my examples would be rusty and aged since I don't normally keep pictures of restored cars. If I do its normally so I can use it to point out something incorrectly done rather than an example of correctness. 2.) Also if we posted "restored cars" then everyone would just copy them exactly taking away the range and variety that was the original car and eliminate the challenge, fun and discovery for the owner/builder that often expands our understanding and the hobby overall.

Guess you've already done a search and found this thread.

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=10708.0

3.) Here is one picture of an unrestored car. Plenty has been changed or (calipers) rebuilt but dust shields appear that they might be unrestored and original. Got to love the cast blast spindles   ???  Have known the last two owners of this car

4.) And just a general picture - same one as posted in the other thread

Its always a challenge where to post Shelby or Boss questions were the details really are also for Mustangs built at the same time and plant. Often I keep them separate until we see where the thread takes us and choose the best benefit (as to where it should rest) later.  No right or wrong - just a somewhat gray area.

we may at some point have to split the Shelby's out by year but will wait until its a big task   ::)

1.) Yes, double digits.
2.) I understand, however sometimes I think textual descriptions can't/don't always describe the nuance of things that may best be learned/understood from a visual accompanyment (see below).
3.) A couple of things here, the caliper bracket appears dark everywhere it is exposed and it's mounted with nuts toward the center of the car where the shop manual shows bolt heads to the center. Was there typically variance here or are is this an example of a change you are refering to? The lower control arms appear to be painted black all the way to and beyond the ball joint, is this correct or is it a combination of age, photography and my old eyes? Should they be painted completely or should there be an area of raw metal near the ball joint?
4.) The calipers I have are not this style but rather the 71312 as found in this thread: http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=10708.new#new.

Given photos are not available, could you describe in more detail what these should look like? It looks like the spindle and splash shield mounting surfaces should be machined yes? And possibly where the caliper contacts the bracket should be machined? Should the part appear to have been machined after corrosion treatment or before?

Sorry for so many questions here. All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline ruppstang

Not a 67 spindle but gives you a idea of finish. It is a little shiny in the picture because it was just sprayed with Bosheild.

Offline cmfuser01

Not a 67 spindle but gives you a idea of finish. It is a little shiny in the picture because it was just sprayed with Bosheild.

Thanks.

Are we saying the correct finish is, or is like a phosphorus and oil finish?

EDIT: And the spindle for a 10/20/1967 GT 350 should also have that appearance or the photo is an example of what the caliper mounting bracket only should look like?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 06:21:41 PM by cmfuser01 »

Offline cmfuser01

The earliest 67 production cars regardless of if Shelby or regular Mustang (at least SJ) used the the same style caliper and pad retainer (caliper shield)as the 66 model (caliper picture reply #5). The early 67 caliper "dust shield" pad retainer would be semi gloss black. I would guess that the changeover to the brake pad retaining clips happened at the same time the calipers transitioned to the larger hose fitting inlet style. The typical 67 disc brake pad retainer clip was a Phosphate and Oil finish.

Thanks Bob.

Now I'm even more conflicted.The calipers I have are not this style but rather the 71312 as found in this thread: http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=10708.new#new which I posted a response to last night.

"I too have calipers like those posted in reply #16. Mine is a 10/20/66 SJ build date. Stampings are 270-6 and 76(maybe 8)544LH, 7/16" inlet."

Should I understand your comments (those quoted in this post) to say that the calipers I have could not be original and/or correct or is there some grey area that they could or would be? Or is 10/20/1966 not considered early enough? I might add I can only vouch for the state of the car over the last 30 years so I would not claim with any certainty they are original as a lot can happen in the life of a car in it's first 20 years.

I understand the differences in caliper retainer styles - thanks. The retainers I have are the clip style (2ea. per caliper, same as referenced in the link) rather than the single retainer.

Thanks again.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Given photos are not available, could you describe in more detail what these should look like? It looks like the spindle and splash shield mounting surfaces should be machined yes? And possibly where the caliper contacts the bracket should be machined? Should the part appear to have been machined after corrosion treatment or before?

Yes any flat surface would have been machined and even some of where the two halves of the mold are often touched with a grinder to clean them up- though I believe is that they might foster cracks. So the end where the faces would meet the ball joint, face where the ball joint nuts would be, the surfaces inside the rotor, surfaces where the bearing race would sit, where the seal would run, where the shield would attach, where calipers brackets would mount, where the caliper mounts would be tightened (bolts would sit), where the tie rod would  be attached and where it would be tightened - nut would rest

Not a corrosion treatment by design though it worked out that way. They were treated again after all the work was done to reduce rusting while in transport to the assembly plant or sitting on the shelf of the local parts store.

Thanks.

Are we saying the correct finish is, or is like a phosphorus and oil finish?

Not P & O originally. It was a oil quenching process and the tone of the finish and the residual coating would have been a results of how old the oil in the vat was

Some use a P&O then tumble the part before doing the machined surfaces in an effort to reproduce the original look. Others like me have been successful with gun bluing repair fluid.

Later examples NOT 67's- just shown for finish comparison. Of course using a computer and digit media is a fairly poor method for comparison

Lighting and angle have allot do do with the contrast in these two. One has not been recolored (original finish) the other recolored

Normally I find the caliper mount a lighter tone - just me - when you find a nice unrusted (surface at least) one

« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 07:57:10 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline cmfuser01

Ahhhh, I get it now - I think.

To conclude:
  • Both the spindle and caliper bracket would have a black or black-ish hue from the manufacture process.
  • Single style pad retainers would have been painted semi-gloss black.
  • Dual clip style retainers would have the P/O finish.

Two open questions at this point:
  • Should the lower control arm be all black or partially raw at the ball joint end?
  • Could the "later style" (71312) calipers with 7/16" inlet dated 270-6 (assuming that's a date stamp) be correct for SJ build date 10/20/1966 Shelby?

Thanks to both you and Bob for your patience. I'm sure you've entertained this topic and related questions hundreds, if not thousands of times by now.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Two open questions at this point:
  • Should the lower control arm be all black or partially raw at the ball joint end?
  • Could the "later style" (71312) calipers with 7/16" inlet dated 270-6 (assuming that's a date stamp) be correct for SJ build date 10/20/1966 Shelby?

The lower a arm would have been dipped in black paint up to about the strut rod attachment holes give or take a little, with the ball joint end being bare stamped steel with plated dust cover retainer, darkened spot weld "dots"  and darkened ball joint retaining plates on the bottom side
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
    ]

My non-Shelby, 11/02/1966, S.J. built coupe with factory disc brakes has the early design calipers. As mentioned already, the change-over should be the same date for all Mustangs. I would think you should have the early ones too in my opinion.
    Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments