Author Topic: Paint Marker Choices  (Read 1182 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Paint Marker Choices
« on: April 29, 2020, 06:40:46 AM »
I will be putting back 2nd rotation numbers onto Dark Moss Green in white.

For those doing this in "black", I imagine it is very easy to simply use a black medium tip Sharpie marker.

I suppose it is also just as easy to order a white medium tip Sharpie as well but thought I would ask before buying if anyone has tried and proven results to share for the community.

I snapped a screenshot of a comparison done in a YouTube video for a few samples written out on a graph for noting the marker widths.

I am probably overthinking it but...

Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline RoyceP

Re: Paint Marker Choices
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 12:13:03 PM »
The Sharpie might not be the best choice since it is water based. The factory markings were oil based which is why so many of them have survived.

This car also had P/S on the inner frame rail just behind the steering box / just above where the slave cylinder bracket mounts apparently written by the same guy. It was a power steering equipped car.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 12:27:42 PM »
I have always used the MarkaL brand paint sticks . AMK used to sell them. They recreate the look well.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 12:57:21 PM »
I have always used the MarkaL brand paint sticks . AMK used to sell them. They recreate the look well.
Yes, I have those. Maybe I need to clarify...I wish to add markings to OTHER items, like underside of hood, seats, instrument cluster, door panels...in particular now, for a WHITE marker, for the under side of hood marking onto the body color.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 03:18:44 PM »
Have a white Sharpie and have used it a number of times to apply to upholstery, cardboard and painted surfaces for things like your doing Only had issues on one cars paint (would not sort of set up over time) not sure if there was residual wax ( we cleaned the surface) or what the issue was. Wasn't the white but another color being used to apply paint inspector stampings
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 04:02:09 PM »
I use paint markers for this, had to order them online.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 04:10:57 PM »
Have a white Sharpie and have used it a number of times to apply to upholstery, cardboard and painted surfaces for things like your doing Only had issues on one cars paint (would not sort of set up over time) not sure if there was residual wax ( we cleaned the surface) or what the issue was. Wasn't the white but another color being used to apply paint inspector stampings

I did order a Sharpie brand White Medium Oil Based marker from online.
Not worth wandering around Wally World or Staples in Hope's they carry the particular size.

Medium seems right. We'll see. It's just money.
Richard Urch