Author Topic: Drip Rail Molding  (Read 3006 times)

Offline dlsimon212

Drip Rail Molding
« on: July 17, 2010, 03:14:50 AM »
My boss is doing a slight restoration of a 65 coupe he purchased,,, the car was painted,,, he then ordered drip rail moldings from CJ Pony. When we pulled them out of the package,, from the git-go we knew we were in trouble, because their basic shape was off by quite a bit (way wider at the ends) so of course all they wanted to do was kink in the corners/bends,, I think the brand was Cortex(or something like that).

Since we now know what Not to buy,,, is there someone out there selling an actual quality set of ss drip rails that Don't suck,, and will actually snap into place properly,,, I'd also like to know since I'll be needing a set for my 65 coupe some time in the future.

Thanks, Doug

www.dougs65mustangrestoration.blogspot.com

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: Drip Rail Molding
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 09:18:20 AM »
Doug-
    Had the same problem and asked the same question on my coupe restoration last year, had a forum member respond with a good set of used drip rails that I then had polished and buffed along with the rest of my stainless. Could not be happier with the results. You might want to try the wanted section here and VMF as an option. Good luck.

Greg 
64.5 Dearborn coupe, D-Code, June 28, 1964   Skylight Blue

Offline C5ZZ

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 11:02:54 PM »
Doug, I am the guy that Greg is speaking of,
if you need a pair leave me a PM.
MCA # 00945

65 Fastback, 6 cyl, AT, AC, PS, PB
Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline Hawkeye

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 04:15:14 PM »
Any updates to the initial question, cuz I just had the same problem with mouldings from CJ.  Does NPD have better luck?  Are they stainless or chrome?  If they're stainless is a good polishing possible (ignoring the little dents that have popped up over the 53 years they've been on).

Offline gjz30075

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 04:19:11 PM »
I think you're best off getting your originals, or a set of originals, restored.   I found a kid locally who is good at popping out the dings and polishing the
pieces.    He's since moved away, unfortunately.  Surely, if you start 'networking' at your local cruise nights, you'll find someone.
Greg Z

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 04:43:45 PM »
Any updates to the initial question, cuz I just had the same problem with mouldings from CJ.  Does NPD have better luck?  Are they stainless or chrome?  If they're stainless is a good polishing possible (ignoring the little dents that have popped up over the 53 years they've been on).

Yes they are stainless.  Refinishing originals is the only way to go IMO.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 05:29:08 PM »
I think you're best off getting your originals, or a set of originals, restored.   I found a kid locally who is good at popping out the dings and polishing the
pieces.

+1
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 12:29:13 AM »
I also tried the repop moldings with no luck.  Those suckers just would not fit right.  Got originals and restored them.  Fit and installed perfectly.
65 Dearborn Built Fastback
Approximate Build Date, September 2, 1964
289 4V, C4, PS, PB, No A/C

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 12:47:43 PM »
Another good tip is NOT to layer coats of primer and paint over the metal drip rail area. One light coat of paint or primer is ok. You can easily screw up originals trying to get them to fit over mucho coats of paint. Ask me how I know  ;)
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline Hawkeye

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 01:47:11 PM »
Another good tip is NOT to layer coats of primer and paint over the metal drip rail area. One light coat of paint or primer is ok. You can easily screw up originals trying to get them to fit over mucho coats of paint. Ask me how I know  ;)
Fortunately didn't have that problem, the originals popped right back on when we realized the new ones were crap.
thanks for the replies, a-refinishing I will go.  I'm seeing my rebuilder next week, and he deals with old cars all the time (my '64.5 is pretty new for him) and I'll see if he's got anybody that does that sort of thing.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 02:34:18 PM »
Fortunately didn't have that problem, the originals popped right back on when we realized the new ones were crap.
thanks for the replies, a-refinishing I will go.  I'm seeing my rebuilder next week, and he deals with old cars all the time (my '64.5 is pretty new for him) and I'll see if he's got anybody that does that sort of thing.

If the shop does allot of 40s- 50s cars he should have some one. If mostly 10s - 30s he might not

But good luck there are good ones out there that will do a great job since the metal is fairly thick and workable. Biggest challenge is finding some one somewhat local so you don't have to ship these odd shaped items
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 03:29:48 PM »
Hawkeye-
     Here's a link to the outfit I used for my '64.5-

http://www.dellmetalpolishing.com/index2.html

Not necessarily suggesting you send your rails to Youngstown but maybe it will give you an idea on what to Google for in your area. Helpful hint - If you're going to do your drip rails might as well do the stainless around the front and rear windows at the same time!

Hope this helps,
Greg

Offline Hawkeye

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 06:34:45 PM »
Hawkeye-
     Here's a link to the outfit I used for my '64.5-

http://www.dellmetalpolishing.com/index2.html

Not necessarily suggesting you send your rails to Youngstown but maybe it will give you an idea on what to Google for in your area. Helpful hint - If you're going to do your drip rails might as well do the stainless around the front and rear windows at the same time!

Hope this helps,
Greg
Thanks for the link.  Fortunately, my guy knows a guy in the area, so we're planning that for this winter.  I have been wondering about the window shiny stuff, is that all stainless as well?  Cuz if it is, yeah, gonna do it all this winter.  The door window shiny stuff is beat up, so I hope that's all stainless.

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 12:15:44 PM »
Hawkeye-
    Not sure what you're referring to as "window shiny stuff", but the trim around the front windshield and rear window is stainless.

Hope this helps,
Greg

Offline Hawkeye

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 05:14:30 PM »
What about the shiny stuff around the door glass, the wing windows, and the quarter window?  Is that all stainless?  Those are one of the last areas that still need to be made all shiny again.  I replaced the windshield and rear window trim, and that worked out ok.  I don't think the stuff I replaced was original, so nothing lost there.