Author Topic: 1970 Sprtsrof 6 Cylinder question (now with pics)  (Read 4740 times)

Offline HDAshmore

1970 Sprtsrof 6 Cylinder question (now with pics)
« on: February 05, 2017, 06:58:14 PM »
Is a 1970 Sportsroof with a 250 CI 6 cylinder and C4, scarce enough to make it worth the money to restore?  I have a chance to pick one up with original motor and trans but did not know if they were desirable due to undesirable engine and are they low production.  Only thing going for it is Décor group option and it is Metallic blue with white interior and unmolested.  Just wanted some advice from the experts before I think about diving in.

Thanks,
Dan
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 10:22:48 PM by HDAshmore »

Offline MattDoscher

Re: 1970 Sprtsrof 6 Cylinder question
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 07:42:25 PM »
Dan,

If you're really interested in it you could get a Marti Report on it which will tell you all you need to know about it.

http://www.martiauto.com/martireports.cfm

Matt
Matt Doscher

1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible
5H25T582252

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 08:55:06 PM »
Matt,

Thanks I already have, I just don't know if the value restored is more than what will have to be spent.  Are they a good investment is probably a better question to ask.

v/r
Dan

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 11:08:57 PM »
Thanks I already have, I just don't know if the value restored is more than what will have to be spent.

If its a true restoration few cars are worth what you put into them. Almost everything depends on what you buy the car for since that is one of the few things (as far as cost go) you have control over.

Are they a good investment is probably a better question to ask.

I would say no but like above most of these cars are not "good investments" when compared other options Buy what you like and will enjoy owning and looking at day or week after week. If you focus on how much you have in a car and just that you will see it as a hole in the ground you continue to dump money in.

Now making money on cars is a different thing. I take investments as ownership over time.

Everything depends on the deal and we don't have any real information to base a determination on at this point IMHO
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 12:53:24 AM »
$1750 with possibly no wrecks or molestation.  Have located original motor and tranny.  Needs typical rust work but rockers, torque boxes, pillars and cowl all look solid. 

0 1970
F Built at Dearborn
02 Mustang 2-Door SportsRoof
L 250-1V I-6 Engine
production at Dearborn
06/70 June, 1970
63B Mustang 2-Door SportsRoof
6 Bright Blue Metallic Paint, Ford #3077-A
TW White Knitted Vinyl Bucket Seats
3 2.79 Conventional Rear Axle
W C-4 Select Shift Automatic Transmission
41 Chicago DSO (District Sales Office)

Your vehicle was equipped with the following features:
- E78X14 Belted White Sidewall Tires
- AM Radio
- Decor Group
- Wheel Covers

I think it would be fun to make back to original, it would look really nice and would be wife and kid friendly minus no PS and PDB but fun for local car shows I guess.

I appreciate all the input so far, good information is priceless, please keep educating me with your advice.

v/r
Dan

Offline MattDoscher

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 12:34:04 PM »
Dan,

Looks like a no frills/plain jane '70.  There's nothing wrong with having said car as most are unless you have a pre-production, Shelby, GT, or Mach 1.  The color combination sounds nice (blue exterior and white interior).  My Mustang is a plain jane example too (5F07C395128) and as one who has gone through a full restoration several years ago, can attest that you won't get back what you put in it to restore it right.  Sounds like a good buy.  You can always add power steering and brakes later on down the road.

Matt
Matt Doscher

1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible
5H25T582252

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 03:02:25 PM »
Money time and effort aside (that's likely still a consideration) the car would really stand out at a show IMHO if done well,  but will bring some challenges with it since a 6 cylinder will be a bit of a challenge to locate original parts for (not expensive normally just not allot around) and doing the research.
Jeff Speegle

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 03:26:20 PM »
Matt and Jeff,

Thank you for the advice and experience.  I am not looking to build and flip.  I was hoping the lack of desirable options and motor and the fact that the blue with white really look nice would make it a car that people would look at and go, Damn that is a pretty car with its little motor and all.  My intention is usually to make it like the day it rolled out the door but I have never messed with a car like this.   Kinda thinking it would be like the "it's so ugly it's cute" way of looking at it.  I think for $1750 and locating the original drive train; that it is at least getting into at a decent price? 

Once again,  I appreciate all input, experience and encouragement.   

Dan

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 03:28:16 PM »
Anyone know what 1970 Sportsroof, 6 Cylinder production numbers were?  Just curious

Online 67gta289

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 05:52:58 PM »
So $1750 to start.  Plus it appears that "an original" (instead of "the original" most likely) engine and transmission would be an extra cost.

When you say possible no wrecks or molestation, some would think that the fact that the engine and transmission were pulled and are gone equate to at least some level of molestation.

On top of that there is "typical" rust repair.

How much work are you willing and able to do yourself?  How much will you need to farm out?

I would suggest getting pictures, and posting them here, to get comments before pulling the trigger.

Best of luck, John
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2017, 05:56:07 PM »
Anyone know what 1970 Sportsroof, 6 Cylinder production numbers were?  Just curious

According to Mustang by the Numbers

T codes w/automatic =  427  (561 with 3 speed)

L codes w/automatic = 1716 (1113 with 3 speed)
Jeff Speegle

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2017, 06:48:07 PM »
Thanks for the numbers on the production.  I have found "the" original motor and transmission (250 CI and C4) just down the road from the car.  It appears there were not a lot of them made although not rare, at least uncommon,  and with a nice color combination and Décor option.  With everyone's input I think it is in the realm of give it a shot.  However, I will get some pics here soon and post as that just makes since.

Thanks again
Dan

Offline Building 3

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2017, 07:21:58 PM »
Sending photos is an excellent idea so that you can have more input from this Forum. There is no doubt that this was, and could be a very nice looking car. But with only about 3,000 I6 engines sold in 1970, NOS, used or reproduction parts will be more difficult to locate than a V8. I looked up the Haggerty value of a 1970 I6/auto Sportsroof and here is what came up: #1 Concours (so assume an MCA Gold winner type condition) $20,740, #2 Excellent Condition $14,195. Before you put down the money for the body and the separated engine and transmission I would recommend looking through the NPD or Virginia Mustang catalog (or any other reputable supplier) and just make up a list of parts needed to complete the car, add in paint and body work either done by you or someone else and see what the total is.  If you are comfortable with the number then go right ahead and have fun, if not, locate something else.
1966 289 C code auto convertible December 1965 scheduled build at Dearborn.

1966 289 C code auto convertible
October 1965 scheduled build at Metuchen.

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2017, 10:00:54 PM »
Building 3,

Great advice and thanks for putting it in perspective. I will see it in a couple of weeks and take and post pics.  I know I have to do a lions share of the work myself to not be upside down and then still a crap shoot.  I was assuming this would be all refurbished OEM and aftermarket parts to stay reasonably affordable vs value.

Thanks all

Offline ExportMach

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 01:14:35 PM »
Dan
Is the body in need of rust repair? After having completed the repairs on my '70 Mach 1 I swore I would never restore another '70 sportsroof again because good used quarters are sooooo hard to find, repops are not that good and NOS are astronomically expensive and rare. Good luck and why not start a build thread we can follow?
Mark C
Ford T5 registrar www.FordT5.com
MCA certified judge - '69-'70 concours
1970 Mach 1 T-5; bucked Mar 1970
0F05H172XXX; 63C, 6, 3A, 91, 6, 1