Author Topic: Need help tonight please on Space saver spare question  (Read 2431 times)

Offline HDAshmore

Need help tonight please on Space saver spare question
« on: February 11, 2017, 09:12:55 PM »
Hello Again,

Can anyone (Speegle if your monitoring please respond as I saw your 69 response to this question),  please in big barney crayon style pictures or diagram show me what to look for in my FEB built 1970 Mach 1 trunk to identify if it came with a space saver spare tire or a regular size spare.  I have been told there is a bracket or something on the right hand side that keeps the tire from hitting the tail light if it is a regular size and then no bracket if it is a space saver.  The J-hook bracket is on the edge of the trunk floor closest to the gas tank but I was told they all were.  I have a space saver but do not want to get rid of it if I am supposed to have from factory.  Will be parting with it if I am supposed to have full size spare.  Marti report only states F70X14 belted white sidewall tires. 

thanks in advance for all help.

Offline 7Lscjracer

Re: Need help tonight please on Space saver spare question
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 09:41:01 PM »
Have a look here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/C9ZZ-1424-K-Mustang-Space-Saver-Spare-Tire-Brackets-1969-1970-/381543734299?hash=item58d5c75c1b:g:nkoAAOSwXshWsSpg&vxp=mtr
A unique hold down bolt and long spring is also required, but not part of the above kit.
Pretty sure the space saver spare is called out on the Marti report, but I haven't made a point to take definite notice of that.
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 09:46:05 PM »
7Lscjracer

Thanks,  that helps some as I only see the one bracket that the J-hook goes through.  I am hoping someone has a great pick of the mounting brackets in their trunk for both space saver and full size so I can go out and look in my money pits trunk and see what I'm supposed to have.  My Marti does not mention space saver on the F70X14s. 

v/r
Dan

Offline Vcode

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 09:51:32 PM »
Scott's site has a chart on the hooks that might be useful.

http://www.scottfullerreproductions.com/catalog/item/4595229/6752241.htm

Offline 7Lscjracer

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 10:23:50 PM »
7Lscjracer and Vcode.

Thanks to you both.  So I can be clear in my mind.  I looked at Speegle's post before I ever posted and was still unsure as his was for a 69.  Having said that, if my car does not look like the orange colored car in the pic above the pic with the fushia arrow in it in Speegle's posted reply.  Then I need a full size?  I take it the car with the 3 brackets is for a space saver spare.  Dan that was painful trying to explain my confusion, sorry!

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 10:43:18 PM »
7Lscjracer

Thanks,  that helps some as I only see the one bracket that the J-hook goes through.  I am hoping someone has a great pick of the mounting brackets in their trunk for both space saver and full size so I can go out and look in my money pits trunk and see what I'm supposed to have.  My Marti does not mention space saver on the F70X14s. 

v/r
Dan
The space saver was not a option on 69 Boss cars or 69/70 Shelby's because they got 15 inch wheels standard . A full size spare would not fit in the trunk so a space saver was standard. Your car came with 14 inch wheels. It was a option. if there is no mention of the option on the Marti report then your car did not come with one from the factory . If you are wanting to add one to personalize your car that is a different story.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 7Lscjracer

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 11:01:58 PM »

I have been told there is a bracket or something on the right hand side that keeps the tire from hitting the tail light if it is a regular size and then no bracket if it is a space saver.

Other way round I would say
Bracket is to cradle smaller space saver
Looking at it logically, it would get in the way of a full size 14" spare
My 69 doesn't have that bracket and the 14" SS wheel is right up against the taillight
Maybe 70 taillights don't stick in as far but how big could the difference be?
At least this will shake an answer out of the knowledge tree
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 11:42:50 PM by 7Lscjracer »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 11:32:42 PM »
Sounds like your car had a regular spare. If not the passenger side trunk floor would have two spare tire hold down brackets and a holder for the inflater bottle/cylinder

Some pictures of 70 mounts and brackets. Forgive the owners - some are slightly bent and at least one had some black rattle can paint sitting around    ::)

NJ

Dearborn

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 11:38:59 PM »
Mr. Gaines, 7Lscjracer and J_Speegle

I think that settles it, my Marti report does not mention one, I only have the one J-hook bracket welded over the edge and I have no desire to make it anything other than what it was at the factory.  I guess I am going to get rid of my space saver and start looking for a full size.  Damn reality;I was hoping it came with one!  Damn Damn Damn!!!  I appreciate everyone's patience and spot on knowledge, I can see I am going to wear this site out as I go through this car and learn from you all.

v/r
Dan