Author Topic: Slop Grey Color  (Read 2515 times)

Offline RocketScientist

Slop Grey Color
« on: February 16, 2017, 04:05:04 AM »
I know this has been asked a million times and I know that the answers are all the same but I have to ask it again anyway.....
I need to color match some slop grey parts and my painter need a color to start from. So I am not interested in a specific color match and I was wondering if anyone can provide any suggestions for a starting point.

I harbor a belief that the basic color of slop grey stayed the same but the tones and shades of grey changed. This was because Ford was basically painting cars the same standard colors most of the time and so the waste paint going into the 'pot' varied little. However, when it comes to Mustangs my success rate isn't all that great.

Offline nham3407

Re: Slop Grey Color
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 10:30:28 AM »
I assume you no longer have access to what would have been the original tone of Slop Gary on your car. My experience has been that the trunk floor above the gas tank is the best place to get a good sample.  In my case my slop gray tone had a bit more of a greenish hue to it.  My car is green, but I do not think that it was overspray being applied over the slop.  I used a combination of PPG DP40LF and DP90LF epoxy primers to get the desired tone.  I just played with the mix until I was happy with it.  I believe Dupont 7740S and 7770S a similar in the Dupont line. 

You have some latitude on the color as you stated it is a combination that would swing from day to day. 
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 04:22:46 PM »
I know this has been asked a million times and I know that the answers are all the same but I have to ask it again anyway.....
I need to color match some slop grey parts and my painter need a color to start from. So I am not interested in a specific color match and I was wondering if anyone can provide any suggestions for a starting point.

Yes it has and because of that the search feature is your friend ;)

From my experience 70 -73 batch colors will have a wider range of possible colors due to the wide variety of colors (brighter,  Grabber ,......)  that were available through those years

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=313.msg1551#msg1551

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=11455.msg68786#msg68786

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=2308.msg11919#msg11919
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 08:18:51 PM »
Thanks guys as this just what I needed.

I apologize Jeff for not doing the ground work first.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 09:40:27 PM »
I apologize Jeff for not doing the ground work first.

No necessary but allot of members have posted and shared allot of great information and its a shame not to take advantage of them and the effort.

All is good and we move forward as a group through the efforts of many    :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)