Author Topic: Upper control arm shafts  (Read 2733 times)

Offline 3ponies

Upper control arm shafts
« on: February 17, 2017, 01:02:33 PM »
Where do I find correct upper control arm shaft and bushings with correct o-rings for 68 GT/CS. Rebuilding arms and can only find shafts with bushings with rubber on on outside of arms. Also what are the correct ball joints to use (side zerk or bottom). Probably posted this in the wrong area originally, posted in general discussion.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Upper control arm shafts
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 06:46:23 PM »
Where do I find correct upper control arm shaft and bushings with correct o-rings for 68 GT/CS. Rebuilding arms and can only find shafts with bushings with rubber on on outside of arms. Also what are the correct ball joints to use (side zerk or bottom).

For the upper ball joints the provision for the zert (though a plug was installed not a zert originally) was on the side of the upper part of the ball joint - aligning with the cut out in the top of the upper a arm

Sorry haven't had to purchase any of the shafts recently but would look at what Moog is offering and yes the internal o rings is what your looking for rather than the exterior boot

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 3ponies

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 09:17:04 AM »
Thanks much, Have not had any luck finding correct control arm shafts with o rings from major parts distributors. NPD shows pics of correct shaft online but when I recieved shipment they had the grease seal on outside, the same with all the Moogs.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 09:39:09 AM »
Thanks much, Have not had any luck finding correct control arm shafts with o rings from major parts distributors. NPD shows pics of correct shaft online but when I recieved shipment they had the grease seal on outside, the same with all the Moogs.

YUPP! That's what I have found also. Even some NOS Ford replacement control arms can have different-looking pieces (end caps for example). A difficult detail to "get it right" in looks while repairing any "slop".

FWIW, on a non-driven restoration, a person 'could' mix original parts up a bit, install new 'O'-rings and achieve satisfactory results if perhaps the shafts or ends are not worn too much. I probably WOULD NOT mix up parts & pieces from different makers or even originals if it were a "driven" restoration. I doubt the bushings would remain "snug" over time of use (mileage of use).

Size of upper control arm shaft O-rings is: 3/16" THICK 11/16" I D - 1,1/16" O D
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 09:42:22 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 3ponies

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 10:04:50 AM »
My thoughts also. thought about just replacing the shaft and using old bushings with new o-rings (currently avaliable), but I'M not sure about mixing parts on driven resto.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 12:53:32 PM »
The O-Ring has a part number, 370367-S100, and is shown in Section 30, page 4, Illustration section 30, page 3, of the MPC (aka Ford Car Parts). Dimensions are shown in "Ford Standard and Utility Parts Catalog" page 47. I found a replacement at Grainger https://www.grainger.com/ 1KLP3 in a 50 pack (I did several cars). The material is Buna N which is for medium to heavy duty use. Their O-Ring is a bit larger but fits.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 3ponies

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 01:32:54 PM »
Thanks Jim,
may go with just replacing o-rings and using new shaft with my old bushings, if I can not find complete kit. I think Scott Drake may have complete shaft kit for original arms?

Dave

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 02:22:53 PM »
The O-Ring has a part number, 370367-S100, and is shown in Section 30, page 4, Illustration section 30, page 3, of the MPC (aka Ford Car Parts). Dimensions are shown in "Ford Standard and Utility Parts Catalog" page 47. I found a replacement at Grainger https://www.grainger.com/ 1KLP3 in a 50 pack (I did several cars). The material is Buna N which is for medium to heavy duty use. Their O-Ring is a bit larger but fits.
Jim

What size does FORD call this out to be in their books? I measured my originals and used those numbers in my search but the replacements I found were in VERY limited supply (as in I bought all 3 they had and they cannot get more) These 3 I have look to be exactly the same in size.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 06:27:16 PM »
I just checked our stock. The ones that are currently in stock have the o-ring. Sorry, I don't have a picture right now. I can get a picture later.

http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/67-73-UPPER-CONTROL-ARM-SHAFT-KIT-CA13173A-P5148.aspx

Offline 3ponies

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 06:53:35 PM »
Thats the ones I need, but they have to be for 68 not 65-66. If you have two let me know. You are talking shaft kit right with shaft and bushings with internal o-ring! Thanks.

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 11:13:54 PM »
I just checked our stock. The ones that are currently in stock have the o-ring. Sorry, I don't have a picture right now. I can get a picture later.

http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/67-73-UPPER-CONTROL-ARM-SHAFT-KIT-CA13173A-P5148.aspx

I am curious what they look like. It would be great if you could update the webpage with an image and/or supply  one here within the thread. Thanks Brant
Richard Urch

Offline Brant

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 06:27:40 PM »
Hey guys,

I just updated the website with a picture as shown here. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Offline 3ponies

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 09:37:45 AM »
Thanks Brant,
They look like what I need exactly! I do not see the o rings pictured but will assume they are included. Thanks again will order this am.
Dave

Offline Brant

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 09:40:09 AM »
Thanks Brant,
They look like what I need exactly! I do not see the o rings pictured but will assume they are included. Thanks again will order this am.
Dave

Dave,

They are already installed in the grooves in the caps.

Offline 3ponies

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 10:10:46 AM »
Awesome!!! Just ordered along with new ball joints, Thanks again!!!!