Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Processes, Products & Techniques

Looking for a metal coating that prevents rust

(1/6) > >>

Matt1968:
I'm looking for a coating or sealant for metal parts that goes on clear to keep the original, natural appearance of the part.   Was has worked for you?

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: Matt1968 on February 19, 2017, 08:00:59 PM ---I'm looking for a coating or sealant for metal parts that goes on clear to keep the original, natural appearance of the part.   Was has worked for you?

--- End quote ---
T9 Boeshield. There are other similar products. It is oil based . It drys when put on light and waxy when heavy. It does need to be maintained depending on environment and usage.  In protected garage type environment it could last years . Exposed to humidity and drastic temperature changes that might change to 2 months . It varies. During show season I would suggest using it before each show. I first used it on some real magnesium wheels I had on my Cobra. After polishing they would start to oxidize in one day. I tried everything . Clear coat ,WD40 etc. You name it I tried it. The best I found would help them last about 3 months before oxidizing. A friend told me to try the T9 and I wiped it on my wheels after polishing and they lasted a year before needing re polishing . They would have lasted longer if I would have wiped them every month or so. I wanted to see how long. Just what has worked for me .  I used some T9 sprayed heavy on some bare metal control arms and but them outside exposed to the elements all winter. 6 months later in the spring they still didn't have any rust on them.   I am waiting to hear about the next best thing I can use. There is always something better.  I just haven't found it yet.  Others will have their own best choices.

Matt1968:
Thanks for the reply Bob,  I was hoping for something that would last much longer than a couple of months. 

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: Matt1968 on February 19, 2017, 09:13:16 PM ---Thanks for the reply Bob,  I was hoping for something that would last much longer than a couple of months.

--- End quote ---
I am always looking for something better. Just trying to give realistic expectations.

midlife:
Cosmoline will last a lot longer than Boeshield.  You just can't apply it and expect it to pass concours judging, however!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version