Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Body, Paint & Sealers

66 trunk floor hole

(1/2) > >>

gjz30075:
I need to replace a small amount of my trunk floor and the hole, as shown in the pic (not my car).   The hole in the picture is in a small recess but all the floor
replacement pieces I see are flat, and the hole is not in a recess.    So, is this a 'hammer and dolly' job to get correct or is there a replacement trunk floor
piece that has the hole in a recess?   

For what it's worth, the car is a late May build '66 GT350

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: gjz30075 on February 25, 2017, 01:46:00 PM ---I need to replace a small amount of my trunk floor and the hole, as shown in the pic (not my car).   The hole in the picture is in a small recess but all the floor
replacement pieces I see are flat, and the hole is not in a recess.    So, is this a 'hammer and dolly' job to get correct or is there a replacement trunk floor
piece that has the hole in a recess?   

For what it's worth, the car is a late May build '66 GT350

--- End quote ---
That is the hole used for the assemblyline fixture to hold the car down the paint line and beyond. I have seen some panels with holes that were out of place plus they were not beveled. Make a template and modify the trunk floor rather then looking for a repro with one would be my suggestion. Chances are a aftermarket replacement will not be in the right spot and will have to be worked in some fashion to match the original  . Make sure the hole lines up with the corresponding hole in the bottom of the frame rail. Best of luck with your project.

jwc66k:

--- Quote from: gjz30075 on February 25, 2017, 01:46:00 PM ---For what it's worth, the car is a late May build '66 GT350

--- End quote ---
My Oct 15, 65, San Jose built Hardtop was flush, my Oct 18, 65, San Jose built "K" Fastback has a recess. Neither have had that area repaired. The Weld and Sealant Manual indicates that they are not different.
Jim

gjz30075:
Bob, the repair area will only be a 1 3/4"  by 1 3/4" square piece,  maybe less, with the hole in the middle.   It's really just the recessed area that has some
rot.  I was hoping to just cut out this area from a trunk floor replacement piece.  Or,   I might just punch a hole in some sheet metal and work on making a recess.     This repair patch will be very small.   Jim, interesting observation.   The hole on the passenger side is also in a recess and is solid so I know the recess area is correct for this car.
Thanks!

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: gjz30075 on February 25, 2017, 08:53:53 PM ---Bob, the repair area will only be a 1 3/4"  by 1 3/4" square piece,  maybe less, with the hole in the middle.   It's really just the recessed area that has some
rot.  I was hoping to just cut out this area from a trunk floor replacement piece.  Or,   I might just punch a hole in some sheet metal and work on making a recess.     This repair patch will be very small.   Jim, interesting observation.   The hole on the passenger side is also in a recess and is solid so I know the recess area is correct for this car.
Thanks!

--- End quote ---
Many times this area is bare metal other times it is spot painted black. when bare metal it is prone to rust. I would cut the piece out of a donor car.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version