Author Topic: 68 deluxe AC control panel  (Read 3558 times)

Offline sigtauenus

68 deluxe AC control panel
« on: July 22, 2010, 04:32:25 PM »
What was used for the color finish on the AC panel with deluxe interior for 68? Was it a woodgrain applique or painted brown? If it was painted, was it just plain brown or any kind of black streaked in for wood simulation? I'm pretty sure I recall reading about Ford using a plain brown paint but am not sure.

Offline Bill Cabaniss

Re: 68 deluxe AC control panel
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 09:12:15 PM »
 Yes it is a standard gloss brown paint. Remember that the debossed words,(fresh, heat) and others are white for visibility. They can be painted after the brown completely dries. use a tooth pick  and white paint. That calls for a steady hand and a little luck. Bill. 
Highland green 68 GT fastback/concours driven since 2000. 8f02j - 1-23-68
raven black 66 coupe/concours driven since 1991.6f07c- 5-14-66
rangoon red 65 Mustang JR. go-cart serial#02. not driven much.
Still drive them to the nationals/they do clean up! 
Gold card judge for 67-68 concours class.

Offline T Lea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 10:26:20 PM »
Brown yes but not gloss. More of a satin/sg

Offline sigtauenus

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 09:52:51 AM »
Any chance of a picture of both the driver side and passenger side vents with deluxe woodgrain?

This is the set I bought, the reproduction. 

It is painted black already around the labels.  Did I read the above correctly that even where the labels are it should be brown with white letters vice black with white letters?

Also, the Scott Drake woodgrain kit that I bought, which is pictured below, has a metal backed woodgrain applique for the passenger side, but it is rectangular vice rectangular with a half moon cut out to fit the entire inlay area around the round area of the actual vent.  I really like the finish of the woodgrain in this kit as it looks much nicer than the typical vinyl applique, but I'm disappointed that it won't cover the entire inlay area.  I'd appreciate any opinions on if I should just install the rectangular piece as-is, or use the brown paint (for the driver side) in the lower corners of the passenger side.

Offline sigtauenus

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 10:06:50 AM »
Here's some pics I found online that add to the confusion.  You can see what appears to be a mix of black, brown with black around the letters, and what appears to be all brown:

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 05:22:56 PM »
The tabs that stick out are black and the lettering white.

Agree with Tim that it was more of a satin finish.  Someone once told me they matched it to an appliance color once.  Would be a little challenging to re-finish one properly.  Usually the black and letters hold up ok though.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline T Lea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 02:45:37 PM »
I've found a great match in a spray can. it is Ace Hardware enamel leather brown satin. It is a bi*ch to do but I've done a bunch and with patience they come out great

Offline sigtauenus

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 02:39:53 AM »
Wow, spraying?  That makes sense, I was planning on brushing it with a small model hobby brush, but not sure why I would think that, as there's no way Ford did that.  I'm sure the bi*tch part is masking everything off, particularly all the labeled areas.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 11:38:27 AM »
IMHO, brushing the paint on would be difficult in achieving the desired appearance.

I have heard of some folks putting vaseline or something similar on the parts that shouldn't get brown paint.  This could be applied with a small brush and done meticulously. 

Personally, I would most likely do the tape method.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Oz390

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 07:27:43 AM »
Tim, what kind of prep did you do to get the paint to stick and lay properly? 

I've tried a few attempts and the paint "puddles" on the chrome, can't find anything that lays properly... using rattle can...  similar issue on other parts as weel, like the RWB bars on the running pony 390's on the fender and the GT badges on the hubcaps... 
8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - Cal Special
8F01X : 65A I 2A 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 repli-bute

Offline T Lea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 09:31:18 AM »
I just wipe it down with laquer thinner than shoot a thin base coat first.

Offline sigtauenus

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 10:07:07 PM »
The suggestion for brown leather satin was awesome!  Great match!

Thanks!