Author Topic: 64 1/2 Low Mileage Unrestored Coupe  (Read 767 times)

Offline C7Z

64 1/2 Low Mileage Unrestored Coupe
« on: March 04, 2017, 12:08:01 AM »
May 4th build date.  38,401 original miles.  Unrestored.  260/3-speed.  Sold new in Pittsburg, KS.  Original owner kept it until two years ago. 

As best I can tell ( so far ), the only parts that have been replaced are the tires, radiator, water pump and rear shock absorbers all of which were saved and came with the car.

I just bought this car 4 days ago, so the adventure begins again !
-D Payne

Offline MattDoscher

Re: 64 1/2 Low Mileage Unrestored Coupe
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 09:29:27 AM »
Nice Mustang and great find!  I like the color combo.  You need to get rid of that side view mirror on the drivers door and replace w/ the right one.

Matt
Matt Doscher
5F07C395128
Caspian Blue exterior, Palomino deluxe interior.

Offline C7Z

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 09:51:04 AM »
Nice Mustang and great find!  I like the color combo.  You need to get rid of that side view mirror on the drivers door and replace w/ the right one.

Matt
Yes, I hate that mirror, but it's the one that's been there since 1964 and if I remove it to install a "correct" mirror I will have two holes in the side of the door.

For now I will leave the Fairlane/Galaxie mirror on the side.  I have seen other early 65's with similar mirrors.  Apparently the cars were shipped without them mounted and left to the dealers to install ?
-D Payne

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 11:23:26 AM »
I would not remove the mirror.

Nice find, would be nice to see more detail pics, engine bay, trunk, undercarriage.

Be sure to clean/preserve and not restore.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline C7Z

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 11:46:46 AM »

Nice find, would be nice to see more detail pics, engine bay, trunk, undercarriage.

Be sure to clean/preserve and not restore.
Thank you.

I plan on taking a LOT of pictures this weekend.  As much as I hate the mirror, I plan to keep it - if nothing else, it's somewhat unique.  It'll grow on me eventually.

I have no plans to do a restoration of this car.  As they say, it's only original once.  I plan to have the original water pump and radiator refurbished and reinstall them.  I have noticed some incorrect hardware on the seat trim that I will likely replace.  Other than that, it'll get cleaned, loved and enjoyed.

Fortunately the original owner kept every part ever replaced on it, even the original brake shoes if you can believe it.....
-D Payne

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 11:47:07 AM »
I agree. Mirrors were usually installed at the dealer (along with the radio antenna) at the "dealer prep" phase so it was probably what was available. The "moon" mini mirror should go however.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline C7Z

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 11:57:55 AM »
When I turn the mirror this way, I don't hate it QUITE as much, ha ha........
-D Payne

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 05:33:04 PM »
On the water pump and radiator, if you could get the rebuilders to keep from stripping the parts to bare metal, that would be best.  Ask them to leave the original finish if possible.  Water pump should be easy, radiator might not be possible since they will most likely vat it.

Offline C7Z

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 07:49:06 PM »
I've been taking pictures of the car today and this date code caught my attention.

It's under the passenger side hood hinge area.  Looks like it says 1 16 - January 16th ???
-D Payne

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 07:55:06 PM »
I've been taking pictures of the car today and this date code caught my attention.

It's under the passenger side hood hinge area.  Looks like it says 1 16 - January 16th ???

Not that unusual, but most of the sheet metal date codes for your May car will probably be around April/May. 

That cowl extension piece is unique for an early car... notice the turn down on the inner fender panel... extends lower than the later cars.

Offline C7Z

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 08:03:14 PM »
Not that unusual, but most of the sheet metal date codes for your May car will probably be around April/May. 

That cowl extension piece is unique for an early car... notice the turn down on the inner fender panel... extends lower than the later cars.
So, is it a mis-stamp or was that part of the car actually made in January ?

Yes, the majority of the date codes so far are all late April.

Thanks !
-D Payne

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 08:33:21 PM »
So, is it a mis-stamp or was that part of the car actually made in January ?

No not a mis-stamp that is when that panel/piece was formed.  January
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 10:06:59 AM »
Ramp up for the March 9th assembly start date began months before.  Stockpiling parts would have been necessary to keep the line going.

You'll find it interesting to seek out and document as many sheet metal date codes as you can on the car.  Also consider that many non-sheet metal parts are also date coded.

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 03:31:14 AM »
I just bought this car 4 days ago, so the adventure begins again !
Congratulations on your purchase, she's a beauty, and how sweet is that side mirror? that's a talking piece right there. A credit to the PO, also nice to see the generator heat shield still there, that's a few hundred dollars and time you won't have to spend ;)
Regards,
Dom
64 1/2 Caspian Blue Convertible - Dearborn

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 06:08:12 AM »
Enviable find!

Only ONE "issue" I took with your posted pictures...That basketball hoop! Personally, I wouldn't EVER park any car next to one (within striking distance) but a Classic Car, I wouldn't even have one closer that twice the striking distance! (Or in other words, anywhere within a 1/2 block of a basketball hoop) Nothing against basketball but I know those hoops and the 'game' itself is hard on cars!
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Well Optioned
2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments