Author Topic: TX New Guy...How you's doin?  (Read 1834 times)

Offline A12pilot

• My cars and blog
TX New Guy...How you's doin?
« on: March 18, 2017, 09:02:40 AM »
No, that's not the normal TX drawl,  but I'm originally from NJ and it's hard to change!  ;D.  My name is Dave and I figured I'd introduce myself to everyone before I start bombarding everyone with questions.   It's been a long time since I've dealt with Mustangs, but I've built several.  Recently,  I've mainly concentrated on Mopars.  I'm finishing up restoring my A12 Super Bee and my Mustang is next.   Here's the details:

1968 Mustang GT Fastback,  S-Code,  4spd, 3.25 rear, Highland Green with a Deluxe Saddle interior,  AM-8 Track,  8000 RPM tach, Convenience Group,  Reflective Group, Fold down rear seat, tinted glass, and both consoles.  I have the original manuals with the original owner's info typed into the inside cover,  original window sticker,  I found the Buildsheet under the driver's seat [well.....3/4 of it], and it even has the 8-Track users manual and pics of the car from the 80s.

It's numbers matching too,  but I'm not sure my original block can be saved.  It's pretty bad in two cylinders.  Anyway, just wanted to say hi before I start down the question road!  ;)

Cheers

Dave
-1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee -MCACN Gold 2017
-1968 Mustang S-Code GT Fastback
 (8F02S)..390-4spd, deluxe interior, both consoles,  convenience group,  reflective group, 8000 rpm tach,  AM 8-Track, fold down seat,  tinted glass,  all paperwork/ numbers matching, built late December

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: TX New Guy...How you's doin?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 09:12:41 AM »
NICE 68! And welcome to the site.
With all of the recent discussions about Bullitt Mustangs, I'm sure many people might take the opportunity to build this particular car into a Bullitt Clone. I hope that is not your plan.

Great to have the kind of original documentation that you have. Makes me kind of jealous.

I am sure you will get the help here that you could possibly need in directing you the right way of Concours restoration of your GT.

Im looking for an Original 67 8-track user guide. 68 should be different (push-button tuner). Thingz llike that are hard to find in original condition.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 09:45:33 AM »
Welcome, what a cool car. There is a lot of experience on this site, that can save you a lot of time and money. It is helpful when you ask questions if you give the build date, assembly plant and car equipment with you question.
Marty

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 11:21:13 AM »
Welcome!
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 12:39:03 PM »

It's numbers matching too,  but I'm not sure my original block can be saved.  It's pretty bad in two cylinders.  Anyway, just wanted to say hi before I start down the question road!  ;)

Cheers
First welcome to the site.  FYI It is common for the restoration crowd to sleeve all eight cylinders on a BB in order to make them standard given a over bored BB has more of a tendency to over heat on many engines but not every. At least on the harder to find and expensive 428 engines. I do it on every 428 I do and consider it a insurance policy before rather then finding out after a engine is rebuilt ,dressed out and installed that it over heats. But that is just me given my problems in the past.  Sleeving is also common in order to save a original to the car block regardless of BB or SB . With 2 cylinders that are all ready questionable sleeving all back to standard bore is that much easier alternative to consider. Of course It is much cheaper to find another 390 block if original to the car and risk of overheating is not much of a concern. Just some alternatives that you can consider if you choose to.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 06:04:44 PM »
Welcome to the site - Hope your find the information here as well as the support helpful in your concours related endeavors.

Before you "start bombarding everyone with questions" I suggest that you take some time to look at prior threads, do some reading and learn to use the search feature. You should be surprise how much has already been discussed that provided though its always good to check if details have changed or need to be expanded on.

Another suggestion is that you consider putting your cars information and when and where the car was built in your signature. We will be asking, allot, for this information before we respond to your questions. It's been a surprise to many how many details different between plants and even time periods.

Again welcome
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline A12pilot

• My cars and blog
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 06:17:48 AM »
Thanks guys.  I promise to not ask too many questions.  Believe me, nobody needs another "Do 68 Mustangs have the Caution Fan decal?" ::). I've already gotten a few answers from google searches which lead me here, so I figured I'd join up. :)

Looking forward to chatting with you guys.

Cheers
Dave
-1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee -MCACN Gold 2017
-1968 Mustang S-Code GT Fastback
 (8F02S)..390-4spd, deluxe interior, both consoles,  convenience group,  reflective group, 8000 rpm tach,  AM 8-Track, fold down seat,  tinted glass,  all paperwork/ numbers matching, built late December

Offline 68NordicCat

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 10:22:54 AM »
Welcome. Glad you found the site. Sounds like you've already got skills when it comes to this stuff (I'm more of a rookie) but the info here is invaluable. I'm just finishing up a 68 Cougar project that I could not have done without this group - read posts daily and search all the time. Ditto Jeff's comments about searching threads, and I just stay logged in and click "show unread posts" almost daily - amazed at how many things pop up there that I hadn't even come across or thought of yet.

Look forward to seeing how that nice '68 comes out!
12/67 SJ Built 68 J code 4-spd Cougar

Offline MikeG69

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 10:18:16 AM »
Welcome to the forum from Ocean county, NJ. Nice Mustang.
I have been involved in Mustangs & working on cars for over 45 years.
1969 Mustang Coupe, 9T01F142xxx, assembled in NJ 11/26/68, 302, auto, meadowlark yellow. (project)
2021 Bronco Sport (Wife's DD)
2005 F150 2WD Regular Cab (My DD)
1999 Explorer Sport (Spare)
MCA #-4549

Offline chrisboss429

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 11:27:00 AM »
Welcome home!
65 /B GT Coupe DSO 71 18S
89 lx hb 5.0 DSO 71 1/89

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 10:45:35 AM »
Thanks guys.  I promise to not ask too many questions.  Believe me, nobody needs another "Do 68 Mustangs have the Caution Fan decal?" ::)
Looking forward to chatting with you guys.
Cheers

Welcome !  You may have US asking you about A and E body cars .  (Or worse, did T/A have different size wheels front and back???)

Mark
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969