Author Topic: 69 Brake Booster ?  (Read 7323 times)

Offline specialed

Re: 69 Brake Booster ?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 02:12:38 AM »
1 way oftelling if booster was changed (Dearborn anyway) is that upper bolt had 38 in head.  I never seen a nos mustang bendix serviced only midland but I have nos torino 69 booster & its bendix

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 12:50:17 PM »
     Thanks for the extra pictures.  So, at least one NJ Midland ?  I have never seen at bolt head with a ' 38 ' actually numbers ?  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 10:50:26 PM »
     Thanks for the extra pictures.  So, at least one NJ Midland ?  I have never seen at bolt head with a ' 38 ' actually numbers ?  Brian

Don't know that the specific bolt head markings apply to NJ or San Jose. Ed sort of focus's on those Dearborn cars and the head marking on that bolt is one of his pet peeves ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2014, 01:17:28 PM »
Thanks for the input and pictures.  All things being considered; the pedal support bolt pattern, the firewall bolt pattern and the seemingly correctness of the Bendix over the Midland I decided to go with the Bendix unit.  Brian
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2014, 05:40:42 PM »
Thanks for the input and pictures.  All things being considered; the pedal support bolt pattern, the firewall bolt pattern and the seemingly correctness of the Bendix over the Midland I decided to go with the Bendix unit.  Brian

Ohhh Ahhh - looks good.

Don't forget the black master cylinder cap and bale if your going all factory and such ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2014, 07:22:49 PM »
     AHH yes, more black  paint and brake fluid nice combo.  Notice the picture of the windshield washer hose strap at the fire wall ?  Brian
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 03:16:10 PM by Brian Conway »
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2014, 09:44:50 PM »
     AHH yes, more black  paint and brake fluid nice combo.  Notice the picture of the windshield washer hose strap at the fire wall ?  Brian

Yep and you'll want to tape the wire back to the T retaining clip ;)   Thin black friction tape above and below
Jeff Speegle

Offline Cou Gar

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2023, 05:37:42 PM »
Am learning from you guys with Brian's '69 Brake Booster thread while servicing my 69 Cougar's Bendix leaking master cylinder. Car has been off the road for 1.5 years now while I've been rebuilding it's front suspension, ball joints, etc. It's a Dearborn plant car date code 19E, Marti report lists actual built date of 05/14/69 and release date of 05/27/69 ordered through Oakland, CA to a San Bruno dealership. I've owned it since 05/77.   So, with Ed and Jeff's posts, I've checked the upper right hand firewall booster bolt. After cleaning this bolt head up, it reveals the "38" stamp on the bolt head, like specialed had posted. (pic attached). However, the booster looks to be a Bendix booster without the Bendix logo on it, and the vacuum port is at the 10:00 o clock position and a plug welded or pressed in at the 12 o clock position, and no drop down "bump" below the master cylinder mating flange. It appears to be a stained silver/grey color and the firewall mounting bracket is also silver on backside and engine side and is welded to the booster at four points. It has the tear drop pedal rod. It has four bolt studs and the hole at the mounting bracket upper right ear for the "38" bolt from engine side. While watching Don Rush's interview with booster Steve, while comparing 69 boosters, at 18:45 Don and Steve show what looks like my booster as a Bendix unit perhaps orignally for other Ford products (Pinto, Mustang II) when rebuilders where running short on cores??  Should I look for a Bendix booster that is stamped Bendix, or have this one rebuilt? Car isn't 100% concours, or super rare build, but try to keep it close. They state it's a good driver quality booster, so may just be a decision if I want to pony up another $200.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2023, 07:17:55 PM »
Am learning from you guys with Brian's '69 Brake Booster thread while servicing my 69 Cougar's Bendix leaking master cylinder. Car has been off the road for 1.5 years now while I've been rebuilding it's front suspension, ball joints, etc. It's a Dearborn plant car date code 19E, Marti report lists actual built date of 05/14/69 and release date of 05/27/69 ordered through Oakland, CA to a San Bruno dealership. I've owned it since 05/77.   So, with Ed and Jeff's posts, I've checked the upper right hand firewall booster bolt. After cleaning this bolt head up, it reveals the "38" stamp on the bolt head, like specialed had posted. (pic attached). However, the booster looks to be a Bendix booster without the Bendix logo on it, and the vacuum port is at the 10:00 o clock position and a plug welded or pressed in at the 12 o clock position, and no drop down "bump" below the master cylinder mating flange. It appears to be a stained silver/grey color and the firewall mounting bracket is also silver on backside and engine side and is welded to the booster at four points. It has the tear drop pedal rod. It has four bolt studs and the hole at the mounting bracket upper right ear for the "38" bolt from engine side. While watching Don Rush's interview with booster Steve, while comparing 69 boosters, at 18:45 Don and Steve show what looks like my booster as a Bendix unit perhaps orignally for other Ford products (Pinto, Mustang II) when rebuilders where running short on cores??  Should I look for a Bendix booster that is stamped Bendix, or have this one rebuilt? Car isn't 100% concours, or super rare build, but try to keep it close. They state it's a good driver quality booster, so may just be a decision if I want to pony up another $200.
If it were my car I would look for a booster that has the vacuum port at 10 o clock position with no plug at 12 and the Bendix trademark. It is your choice .You do what is best for you. you may be able to go to the auto parts store and get a rebuilt unit and use your mis matched booster as a core. That is probably the easiest and least expensive . I think the rebuild guys charge 250.00 plus shipping to and from for a rebuild. Open the box at the auto parts store and inspect the rebuilt to see what it looks like and if it is not a Bendix and or the right Bendix then reject it. It will most likely be a Midland type.  Some stores will let you do that a couple times. If not you will have to go to a different auto parts store and try it.  Unfortunately the auto parts store booster rebuilds are notorious for not being done very well and have a high failure rate after initial installation. It is a gamble. What with the labor intensive installation most of the people I know send them in to booster Dewey/Steve to rebuild for added insurance. If you choose to send one off for a rebuild and can't find a core I have a Bendix core. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2023, 04:36:46 PM »
The 6945 booster is for 70. The 69 booster is 6943. A 6945 will work with a 69 if the rod is changed but I would assume you want the correct part.
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is

Offline Cou Gar

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2023, 05:16:02 AM »
So, Cobra jet_carl, found your response too late. I had and sourced a 6945 Bendix marked booster, sent to Karps for rebuild and master cylinder sleeve. It has the tear drop rod connection. It's 1/8" to 1/4" shorter than my take off booster, from firewall bracket to master cylinder mount. Probably have to adjust my piped lines a bit for proportioning valve setup.