Author Topic: Paint Color ? 428 CJ Manual Trans Bellhousing  (Read 4509 times)

Offline Brian Conway

Paint Color ? 428 CJ Manual Trans Bellhousing
« on: March 24, 2017, 01:15:14 AM »
The trans bell housing and engine were what color for a September 19, 1968 Metuchen 428 Mach 1 ?  Thanks  Brian
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 02:17:22 PM by J_Speegle »
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Paint Color ?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 01:35:20 AM »
The trans bell housing and engine were what color for a September 19, 1968 Metuchen 428 Mach 1 ?  Thanks  Brian
FYI regardless of assembly plant the FE engines were painted at the Dearborn engine plant. With that said the bare cast iron bellhousing was bolted to the engine block before painting of the engine block. There is typically about a inch of heavy paint fading out to nothing after about 5 or 6 inches . It varied .There could be a little more or a little less depending on the person that was holding the gun. I have not observed any paint on the clutch inspection cover which seems to indicate it was added after.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 11:57:36 AM »
OK so Ford Blue on the block.  Bell housing Ford Blue along the mounting perimeter.  Inspection cover natural.  The transmission ?
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 02:01:42 PM »
OK so Ford Blue on the block.  Bell housing Ford Blue along the mounting perimeter.  Inspection cover natural.  The transmission ?
Brian, the transmission wasn't painted . It would be bare natural metal finishes.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Paint Color ? 428 CJ Manual Trans
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 02:06:39 PM »
Changed the title so it reflected the engine and transmission the OP was discussing ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brian Conway

Re: Paint Color ? 428 CJ Manual Trans Bellhousing
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 09:24:39 PM »
Great.  Thanks for sharing.  Brian
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline Raven R Code

• 428CJ ~ 4 spd ~ 3L50
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 11:58:41 PM »
Hey Brian,
My 4 spd is bare cast with some yellow numbers stamped on the casing. The numbers in yellow appear to be a fancy script font style.  11k on the car and rustfree.
Dave

~ Do it concours or don't do it.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 12:06:39 AM »
Hey Brian,
My 4 spd is bare cast with some yellow numbers stamped on the casing. The numbers in yellow appear to be a fancy script font style.  11k on the car and rustfree.

Would help if we knew where and when your car was built.

Have never found stamped numbers on a bellhousing - would be interesting in hearing the details and a picture
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 01:11:07 AM »
Would help if we knew where and when your car was built.

Have never found stamped numbers on a bellhousing - would be interesting in hearing the details and a picture
Jeff, I believe he is referring to the 4 sp transmission case. I have never seen stamped numbers on bellhousing ether.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 01:18:32 AM »
Jeff, I believe he is referring to the 4 sp transmission case. I have never seen stamped numbers on bellhousing ether.

Thought cross my mind but got to taken them as their written   :)  Sure he will clarify - didn't want to assume but would not surprise me for someone to decode the transmission stamp as numbers rather than letters
Jeff Speegle

Offline Raven R Code

• 428CJ ~ 4 spd ~ 3L50
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2017, 10:45:28 PM »
Thought cross my mind but got to taken them as their written   :)  Sure he will clarify - didn't want to assume but would not surprise me for someone to decode the transmission stamp as numbers rather than letters

The yellows markings are on there tranny case, not the bell housing.

Will get pictures.
Dave

~ Do it concours or don't do it.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 11:07:25 PM »
The yellows markings are on there tranny case, not the bell housing.

Will get pictures.

Understood.  Would expect the identifier stamp, assembler stamp a bunch of different color hand written codes a locator for the speedo cable attachment point and others
Jeff Speegle

Offline 69390IPSHAKER

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 01:37:07 PM »
I just finished the rebuild of my original 390. I would agree with the statements above. I presume most all the details on the BB engine would be similar.

Mine had over spray on the bell housing on both sides pretty heavy and drips running down it.
Also did not have the inspection cover at bottom on it when painted, Mine had blue paint all over the flywheel and part of the pressure plate.

Also the partial Vin is stamped into the trans case at the top. Same number stamped on the LH back cylinder head of engine.  I have not seen one stamped in the bell housing as of yet.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 01:41:49 PM by 69390IPSHAKER »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 02:30:42 PM »
I just finished the rebuild of my original 390. I would agree with the statements above. I presume most all the details on the BB engine would be similar.

Mine had over spray on the bell housing on both sides pretty heavy and drips running down it.
Also did not have the inspection cover at bottom on it when painted, Mine had blue paint all over the flywheel and part of the pressure plate.

Also the partial Vin is stamped into the trans case at the top. Same number stamped on the LH back cylinder head of engine.  I have not seen one stamped in the bell housing as of yet.
Curious if you have any indication that the exhaust manifolds on your engine were oversprayed painted originally . The reason why I am asking because unlike the small block where we have evidence of the exhaust being on when engine was painted and Ford written instructions to do so,the FE engine seems to be different. The survivor cars (trucks ,passenger cars ) and picture evidence seems to give a strong indication that the FE exhaust manifolds were added later.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2017, 03:04:54 PM »

Interested in knowing where the car was built and the month. Thanks
Jeff Speegle