Author Topic: Grouping of cars into classes  (Read 334 times)

Offline Lex

Grouping of cars into classes
« on: March 26, 2017, 05:50:12 PM »
Not sure this is best place for question...here goes
Went to MCA show recently....first for me in a while.. Car is 70 Boss 302 and was placed in group q (Boss and Shelby grouping as I remember).
What I didn't know and came to find out after was the 1st generation cars were mingled with latest gen cars. Is this the norm or an anomaly...

Lex
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 06:45:11 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Grouping of cars into classes
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 05:57:44 PM »
Not sure this is best place for question...here goes
Went to MCA show recently....first for me in a while.. Car is 70 Boss 302 and was placed in group q (Boss and Shelby grouping as I remember).
What I didn't know and came to find out after was the 1st generation cars were mingled with latest gen cars. Is this the norm or an anomaly...

Lex

Not sure if it is a show committee requirement but I thought it was up to the hosting club. They often choose to mix up the generations in parking so that there is no "us" and "them" that develops.  Mixing hopefully, the thought IMHO, breaks down the barriers and may help each appreciate each other.

Know we have at least one National Show Committee member on the site - likely two. Hopefully they will see and comment
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 06:45:19 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Lex

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 06:30:56 PM »
Jeff thanks for the reply...Had not checked for any email...The question was not to parking...I like being around any other cars...Question had to do with being judged with the late gen cars.....

Lex
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 06:45:27 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 06:45:03 PM »
Jeff thanks for the reply...Had not checked for any email...The question was not to parking...I like being around any other cars...Question had to do with being judged with the late gen cars.....

Lex

Even though the cars are mixed together in the parking area at National MCA shows they are judged by different groups and different judging teams. Now if you were at a regional or local show that was held by an MCA club they could be doing their own thing to maximize the limited judges, minimize award costs and or other things to make things work in their situations.

Basically local clubs do all sorts of things in local shows.  Sometimes this affects the value or worth of the award or achievement but that is up to the owner to figure out what value they wish to apply to this. Would guess that if late and early models were all placed in one big basket either they (the judges) were using only condition and quality to determine the award or cars they knew were going to be judged to one standard and cars not studied were going to get a pass.  Guess they might have had a mix of experience across the years in one team but I've never found that in my decades of judging or viewing similar shows around the country and other countries.

Altered the title to hopefully better represent the question. 
Jeff Speegle

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 08:20:22 PM »
At the present time, MCA does not require that host clubs park in a specific manner, although we recommend to park cars by class.  In the past, that was difficult to do since we didn't know how many cars were in each class until late in the game.  Now, with the preregistration requirement for judged cars, it is very easy to work up a parking plan by class.  I believe that this will become a requirement in the next National Show Guidelines that we prepare since it is much easier for the judges when cars are parked by class.

Murphy, 1968 Coupe - Concours, Original Owner
Trouble, 1968 Fastback - Modified

MCA Gold Card Judge, 67-68 Concours
MCA Gold Card Judge, Modified - All Years

MCA National Show Committee Chairman

Offline hopeto

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 05:55:35 PM »
Lex, What was the class listed on your card? This will help folks answer your question. There is not a MCA class "Q". The answer could vary depending on concours, occasional driven, etc. Was this the show in Pensacola? Here are the normal MCA classes.
Original one owner 84 GT Convertible with 1800 miles. Two K Code Coupes - 65 Silver Smoke Gray GT 4 Speed - 67 Vintage Burgundy GT. We also have an 86 Oxford White SVO along with a 2012 Yellow Blaze Boss 302 and a 2016 Shelby GT350 R.

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 06:10:01 PM »
If this was not at a National or Grand National, then MCA has no say in how a club sets up its classes.

Murphy, 1968 Coupe - Concours, Original Owner
Trouble, 1968 Fastback - Modified

MCA Gold Card Judge, 67-68 Concours
MCA Gold Card Judge, Modified - All Years

MCA National Show Committee Chairman

Offline Lex

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 10:43:23 PM »
Thanks for replying...The event was a regional MCA event. The surprise for me was the mingling of 5th and 6th gen cars for judging with 1st gen cars...I know clubs can pretty well do as they please and that's OK but I sure didn't like it....

Lex

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 11:05:13 PM »
Lex think you should contact the club and let them know, in the kindest way, your feelings and opinion. This sort of thing can lead owners to leave their cars home or at least not enter. If they have feedback they may choose to change or repeat the same thing but at least they will know
Jeff Speegle