Author Topic: gas tank flange  (Read 653 times)

Offline preaction

gas tank flange
« on: March 29, 2017, 03:14:48 PM »
Was the gas tank flange, beginning of the gas neck on the out side of the car, installed and painted with the car ? For a 67 built in Dearborn.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: gas tank flange
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 04:35:11 PM »
Was the gas tank flange, beginning of the gas neck on the out side of the car, installed and painted with the car ? For a 67 built in Dearborn.

??? Where would the idea it might have been painted come from? No tank, no filler pipe at time of painting of any classic Mustang I am ever aware of.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 04:37:28 PM »
No. There was nothing attached to the body except the trunk lid and front doors (with attaching hardware). The front fenders were painted elsewhere. Think "assembly line".
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline preaction

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 04:56:18 PM »
??? Where would the idea it might have been painted come from? No tank, no filler pipe at time of painting of any classic Mustang I am ever aware of.
This idea very easily comes from my experience from seeing non concours restored cars where the filler neck wasn't removed for painting for any number of reasons. Know I know better thanks, Paul.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 08:46:40 PM »
No. There was nothing attached to the body except the trunk lid and front doors (with attaching hardware). .......

As well as end caps - loosely installed , rear bumper guard (if so equipped) brackets and rear valance (number and type of hardware depends on plant and time period).
There are a couple of additional parts depending on plant, year and time period.

But back to the PO question +1  no gas tank, filler neck or wiring in the car though you will surely see plenty of repaints with painted tanks, necks and flanges :(
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 08:50:39 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)