Author Topic: Steering Column Bracket paint for black interior?  (Read 1117 times)

Offline mungus

Steering Column Bracket paint for black interior?
« on: April 11, 2017, 09:18:27 PM »
Just wondering what the paint should be on the steering column brackets for a black interior 68'?

Have bought some dark charcoal metallic for the column, inner doors etc. But before I spray the column I'm wondering if the column to dash & firewall brackets were also DCM or just SGB?

Advice appreciated.
March 14th 1968 - Metuchen S code Fastback
C6 auto, LS 3.25 diff, Gulfstream Aqua, Black Vinyl, Headrests, Console, GT group, PS, PB, AM/FM stereo, F70 tires, tinted glass, louvered hood.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Steering Column Bracket paint for black interior?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 10:35:36 PM »
The upper bracket would normally be semi-gloss black.  The lower would be the same color as the interior.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline mungus

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 10:50:50 PM »
Thanks. Simple!

Umm, shouldn't that be the other way around though?  ::)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 08:28:57 AM by mungus »
C6 auto, LS 3.25 diff, Gulfstream Aqua, Black Vinyl, Headrests, Console, GT group, PS, PB, AM/FM stereo, F70 tires, tinted glass, louvered hood.

Offline mungus

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 08:27:48 AM »
Thanks Jeff, that's what I've now done. SGB on the firewall plates and DCM on the column and upper bracket.
The local respected car restoration paint shop supplied me with some correct looking Dark Charcoal Metallic, mixed from the PPG formula. So far its looking good.

On another topic, I finally got some of that stainless steel paint you recommended for my differential shroud, very nice colour. Definitely looks more like new steel than the VHT cast iron paint

Appreciated.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 09:23:51 AM »
The upper mount has two pieces, the top should be SGB, the bottom should be interior color.   The bottom should have a rubber isolator pad glued in place, see the attached pic.  I don't recall if the SGB top has the pad or not. 

The picture shown here is a 67, the 68 mounts are larger.

(4/16/17 Modified to clarify)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 07:05:53 AM by 67gta289 »
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline mungus

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 08:25:16 PM »
The upper should be SGB, the lower interior color.   The lower should have a rubber isolator pad glued in place, see the attached pic.  I don't recall if the SGB upper has the pad or not.  I can check later if nobody chimes in.

I'm getting a bit confused here!" :-)

Firstly does the 68' even have a lower bracket per your picture? I know the 67' does, but there was no such bracket on my car, nor can I find a picture of any 68' column with one attached. Also P-5770 of the factory parts manual, which shows the 68'  fixed column, shows no such bracket...

When I was referring to a lower bracket it was the firewall to column bracket (2 piece plate), because as far as I can tell that is the only lower bracket fitted to a 68' Just asking! here to learn etc. It wouldn't be the first time a piece was missing from my car! :-)

Secondly as pretty much every photo I can find of the dash undersides / columns in 68's shows that big upper bracket to be interior coloured, not SGB.
So is the black interior version unique in that it gets SGB rather than DCM?

Also Jeff, not wanting to draw this out. But in your second photo of a brown coloured column the firewall plate is SGB, is it not?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 10:24:47 PM by mungus »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 10:53:25 PM »
Ok removed the earlier picturew I posted in an effort to get a fresh start and maybe reduce the confusion

Upper bracket seems to match the interior on original cars

Lower firewall bracket (do have more examples) held in place with zinc dichromate bolts and appears to be on the glossier side of the semi-gloss scale

And a Jan built example

Additional pictures from an earlier thread

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=15373.msg96049#msg96049

« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 11:03:42 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mungus

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 11:23:09 PM »
Many thanks Jeff. All clear now.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 06:54:09 PM »
Pictures always (well most of the time) seem to help out   8)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)