Author Topic: 69-70 Slop Gray Article Review  (Read 4862 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
69-70 Slop Gray Article Review
« on: April 18, 2017, 06:02:31 PM »
Here is an article that had been left unfinished for a while so figured I would wrap it up. Basically its an expanded version (with pictures) of the 69-70 FAQ 1b posted at the top of this section. Give it a look and let me know what I overlooked or messed up :) so I can adjust and post in the Library

Thanks

http://concoursmustang.com/speegle/Articles/69/Article-69-70BatchIllustrated%201A.pdf
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brian Conway

Re: 69-70 Slop Gray Article Review
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 08:11:06 PM »
Add the hood hinges to the parts chart ?
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 11:45:54 PM »
Add the hood hinges to the parts chart ?

The purpose of the article is to point out how different plants had different finishes on the same parts and if it was slop gray a possible starting point/code for a paint

With that in mind how are hood hinges different between plants?   Just asking since you might want to share something I'm unaware of or maybe what your thinking of could be covered in another article

Jeff Speegle

Offline specialed

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 09:16:20 AM »
Looks good jeff & you might want to add a footnote by center grill support photo (does not apply to Shelby) like you did by bumper arms photo as I have seen restorers paint unique Shelby bumper arms & grill support slop grey like the regular mustang or just add those to parts to the SGB list. Someone needs to do an interior article like this also showing different finishes.

Offline Vcode

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 01:07:44 PM »
Jeff,

Thanks for posting that article..very helpful.

Dale.

Offline Raven R Code

• 428CJ ~ 4 spd ~ 3L50
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 01:28:07 PM »
Wanting to be clear....the SGB is NOT the same as the basic engine bay paint, which I understand is a semi-flat black ?
Dave

~ Do it concours or don't do it.

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 03:00:49 PM »
Jeff, typo in the 'legend' you have the abbreviation listed as SBB, (should be SGB) for semi gloss black.

I have always described the engine bay color as satin black.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 06:11:36 PM by krelboyne »
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 03:02:37 PM »
Wanting to be clear....the SGB is NOT the same as the basic engine bay paint, which I understand is a semi-flat black ?

Some may describe it using different terms I choice to refer to both as semi-gloss black just different sheens but can see where semi-flat might describe the flatter range of the semi's

Many years ago there was a scale produced where an attempt was made to describe different levels of semi-gloss and some of the major parts that may have been painted that "color" using a 1-5 scale.  Charles and I have thought/discussed redoing that chart but have not gotten to it. Many of us have made a little board or strip of metal shot with 4-8 (approx) bands of different semi-gloss blacks so that we can compare the finish before it is stripped and redone in an effort to try and reproduce this range of different finishes while still staying in the semi-gloss finish. Of course a scale if done would be a generalization but a place to at least start for someone

Good item and discussion - thanks all
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 03:06:07 PM »
Looks good jeff & you might want to add a footnote by center grill support photo (does not apply to Shelby) like you did by bumper arms photo as I have seen restorers paint unique Shelby bumper arms & grill support slop grey like the regular mustang or just add those to parts to the SGB list.

Can do

Someone needs to do an interior article like this also showing different finishes.

Interior different finishes? 
What gets painted what color??
Like taking the paint chart and illustrating it?

Or plating/finishes of metal parts, brackets, .....?

Jeff Speegle

Offline Raven R Code

• 428CJ ~ 4 spd ~ 3L50
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 06:58:14 PM »
Some may describe it using different terms I choice to refer to both as semi-gloss black just different sheens but can see where semi-flat might describe the flatter range of the semi's.

I'll ask it a different way......should the hood latch support along with everything else in your supplied picture be painted with the same paint as the engine bay? That's the way I've always done it in the past but just want to double check.

Thanks,
Dave
Dave

~ Do it concours or don't do it.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 07:04:47 PM »
I'll ask it a different way......should the hood latch support along with everything else in your supplied picture be painted with the same paint as the engine bay? That's the way I've always done it in the past but just want to double check.

Its much easier for a restorer to paint everything witht he same paint but on an original car and a well restored one IMHO the amount of gloss and tint would vary since the individual parts would have been painted miles from each other by different companies, in different situations and using different paint brands and types

So IMHO the answer would be no
Jeff Speegle

Offline D0ZZ

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 05:18:37 PM »
Another typo in the legend, in the slop gray area at the bottom. Currently is "Typical took on the look of a medium to day gray with a slight green or blue overtones." I think you want typical to be typically and day gray to be dark gray  ;)

1970 Mach 1, Metuchen, 351-4V, Built 6/22/70
1989 Mustang GT, Built 07/89

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 08:50:36 PM »
Another typo in the legend, in the slop gray area at the bottom. Currently is "Typical took on the look of a medium to day gray with a slight green or blue overtones." I think you want typical to be typically and day gray to be dark gray  ;)

Thanks and welcome to the site
Jeff Speegle

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 03:23:57 AM »
Great article, well done for a topic that seems to come up all the time.  I especially like the picture on page 1. 

It would be interesting to give a bit more background about how they created and used the slop grey.  Has there ever been any more information uncovered about this or photos?  Im sure what I am picturing in my head is alot more different than what was going on in Dearborn. 

Also...I know we say the front license plate brackets are supposed to be slop grey but I have never actually found one like that.  They always seem black even with most of the cars I find in Arizona that are from Dearborn.  Do we have something that documents that or details that part being slop grey?   
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline ShakenFE

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 02:30:12 PM »
Thanks for article, timely for me as front end of my San Jose car is slowly coming together now.  Question on Page 6 the hood release lever assembly is shown in gray surrounded by the SGB parts you itemized.  What is color application is the hood release lever assembly from San Jose?  Thanks
69 CJ Base SportsRoof 63A "Double R"