Author Topic: 69-70 Slop Gray Article Review  (Read 4860 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69-70 Slop Gray Article Review
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2017, 03:14:40 PM »
... What is color application is the hood release lever assembly from San Jose?  Thanks

Phosphate & oil - Same all plants
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2017, 05:34:53 PM »
Great article, well done for a topic that seems to come up all the time.  I especially like the picture on page 1. 

Was doing a full exploded view of the front sheet metal and brackets - thought that would look best but it was holding (finding time to finish that drawing with other needs at the moment) I choose to go with a picture I had the forethought to take when I was assembling my Boss

It would be interesting to give a bit more background about how they created and used the slop grey.  Has there ever been any more information uncovered about this or photos?  Im sure what I am picturing in my head is alot more different than what was going on in Dearborn. 

Currently I believe that the stamping plant that did the slop gray and supplied Dearborn had access to the Dearborn assembly lines left over paint and because of that they worked it into the paint supply like the car plant did for the floor paint since the early 60's. The puzzler is that (for example) The same stamping plants supplied both San Jose and Dearborn but the parts used have different finishes  ::)

Also...I know we say the front license plate brackets are supposed to be slop grey but I have never actually found one like that.  They always seem black even with most of the cars I find in Arizona that are from Dearborn.  Do we have something that documents that or details that part being slop grey?   

Believe its a legacy set down long ago by the people in the east, making the rules for these cars.  Might be something to chase and discuss if you have access to those cars and parts in volume.  If you get some agreement and some documentation we can correct the article quickly.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 05:44:45 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2017, 12:16:34 AM »
Today I looked at 7 original paint DAP 69-70 Mustangs with original paint dark gray tag brackets. Dark gray was typical for DAP built Mustangs. The original dark gray is much darker than the rattle can slop gray found on most restorations. The parts were dipped not sprayed. The stamping plants typically did not paint  parts. The Dearborn stamping plant(Tag brackets) shipped parts to the Brownsville redistribution center in Romulus Mi to be prepped, then painted before shipping to DAP. The tag brackets as well as the parts pictured in article painted at Brownstown were gray. The brackets shipped to distribution centers that supplied Metuchen and San Jose were typically black. Typically service brackets were SGB. Some early service parts were also gray as Brownstown supplied parts to Autolite National Parts distribution center in Livonia MI. After nearly 50 years of weathering its often hard to ID slop gray from SGB.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2017, 12:23:16 AM »
Today I looked at 7 original paint DAP 69-70 Mustangs with original paint dark gray tag brackets. Dark gray was typical for DAP built Mustangs.....................

Thanks for taking a look and responding
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2017, 05:14:57 AM »
Will make the appropriate adjustments and corrections and post the final in  the Library

Thanks to everyone
Jeff Speegle

Offline Blown351stang

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2017, 11:47:28 PM »
That's a good Article that helps thanks. I have found slop grey on the in side of the spring covers which will make it easy to get matched as a starting point but it is easy to get confused with black in bad light.

Offline Wingman

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2020, 08:25:14 AM »
Here’s a great example of the slop gray.

//Mattias

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2020, 02:23:00 PM »
Here’s a great example of the slop gray.

//Mattias

Thanks - that is one of the combinations the supplier came up with on the bolt on items. Since that shows the application (different base and process) and on the bolt on items I'll move it over to that thread

Is this from the same Dearborn 14th of March built  car you posted above?
Jeff Speegle

Offline Wingman

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2020, 03:44:59 PM »
Hey! :)

Yes, it’s from the same car. 14th of March 1969.

Offline Wingman

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2020, 05:48:35 AM »
Hey! :)

Yes, it’s from the same car. 14th of March 1969.

I had the paint scanned today. The code I got was according to the picture. Maybe not a 100% correct, but perhaps close enough for restoring.