Author Topic: No Dome Light  (Read 1271 times)

Offline ruppstang

No Dome Light
« on: April 19, 2017, 08:55:00 AM »
When we got our unrestored 68 High Country Special I noticed that it has no done light. Something every coupe that I have seen has. This car also has front floor lights. Those are only normally only found on fastbacks and convertibles. There is not even any wire there for the dome light.

Have any of you seen this set up.

Offline ruppstang

Re: No Dome Light
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 10:44:53 PM »
Ok I guess not.
Next question is would you install a dome light or leave it as it was built?

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 01:33:57 AM »
What does the Marti report say?
Consider judging this car. If you saw no dome light without the owner saying anything about it, would you deduct points?
To be truthful, are you going to own a car built and judged to a "standard", or are you going to own an "exception"? Without documentation, you will lose points. To be in compliance, add the dome light (the lesser of two evils).
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 01:48:13 AM »
I believe the underdash lights are part of the optional courtesy light group. Box C28 on the build sheet.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 01:50:49 AM by Coralsnake »

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 09:48:02 AM »
Thanks for you responses. There is no mention on the Marti report of the Courtesy group nor is there a under hood light or trunk light. Or even the wiring harness to plug a trunk light in to. This car is unrestored and I would like to show it that way so I would not like to disturb the headliner to add the dome light. Jim I know just what you are saying about building the car to the judging standard. I think it is too bad when we loose unique details to gain points. This car as a URA would do well to get a bronze. If I choose to restore it some day I most likely will add the dome light.

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 10:26:15 AM »
I would say leave it. There are way too many cars that have been screwed up by misguided judging standards and well intentioned clubs. If we build every car the way someone else wants, we will loose a lot of history. Document and leave it as is.

There are a lot of early 1968 Shelbys running around with front valences that look like reproductions. After 25 years someone figured out these were all early built and hand made parts. For all that time, they were thought to be reproductions.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 05:43:07 PM »
Many of us get involved with cars with oddities and the first step is investigation and documentation. Sometimes its a screw up (something went wrong or someone missed something) while other times its something new,  a short issue at a specific plant and time or something else. Once you've gone through your diligence you get to make the choice.  I've made them both ways sometimes to fix other times to leave just depends and each was my choice.

To your original question - yes have seen some - not sure why but don't take many pictures of headliners so can't help to see if this is a plant or time period thing to help support you leaving it as is. Sorry .

In your case - if someone didn't bring it to the judges notice I would bet that at many shows no one would even notice it not there since its not called out in the sheets
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 09:28:51 AM »
A bit of irony or truth here. I checked a 1968 calendar and this car was built on Monday! I wonder how early.

Thanks everyone for your replies.
 Marty

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 10:38:52 AM »
A bit of irony or truth here. I checked a 1968 calendar and this car was built on Monday! I wonder how early.

Thanks everyone for your replies.
 Marty

;D gotta love "factory workers"! I don't really think ALL of the worst jobs were done on Mondays or Friday afternoons! My "Wednesday Completion Date" example has a few huge "Foo-Pah's" on it too! (Missing spot welds, plus I believe the first rotation workers failed to remove a dowel bolt holding to unfinished unibody to the track causing ripped metal on the insides of the roof pillars and near front leaf spring dowel hole to name a few) BUT, perhaps the BODY was welded together on the Monday before it was actually completed...it was completed one day behind schedule after all so perhaps it got kicked to the side to be repaired... ;)

Now, along the line of discussion...I chose to grind off & repair where the metal tore under the car (it had been welded under the car) & straighten the metal in the roof pillars since I didn't wish to ever have to explain the anomily...I am sure it was purely an accident. The "Missing spot welds", I left unaddressed for obvious reasons, and probably not obvious enough to be detected anyways in a typical "judged event".
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 10:56:05 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 12:08:16 PM »
Can easily see how a missed dome light on the assembly line could be rectified by adding the two under dash lights to pass inspection.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A