Author Topic: comfort weave upholstery question  (Read 1890 times)

Offline kammertime

comfort weave upholstery question
« on: April 19, 2017, 11:39:26 AM »
I have some seat covers made by Colamco. They have a date of 1-22-88.

They look and feel like original comfort weave material. Does anyone know of this company and could they have used original type material ?

Thanks,
John

Offline Building 3

Re: comfort weave upholstery question
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 12:22:18 PM »
I do not know of that company. However, I can say that Ford Comfort Weave vinyl was made by Ford at their vinyl plant north of Detroit.  I think it was Van Dyke. (That is not to say there were not other suppliers.)  At the end of the model year they would have a huge sale of their leftover rolls of vinyl.  One year I bought a bolt of the brown Comfort Weave. We upholstered a few chairs with it and used the extra for a variety of other things. This was in the mid-1970's, so at least at that time Ford was making the Comfort Weave
1966 289 C code auto convertible December 1965 scheduled build at Dearborn.

1966 289 C code auto convertible
October 1965 scheduled build at Metuchen.

Online Scott302

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 03:28:50 PM »
I remember Colamco.  They were among the first to make Mustang reproduction upholstery and our supplier for many years.  Along with Mustang repro upholstery they were an original supplier to White Freightliner and Cessna Aircraft.  They haven't been around since the mid 90's I believe.

Would they have used ORIGINAL comfortweave...no.  Original STYLE comfortweave..yes.  At that time the only machines capable of producing that type of vinyl were located in Kyoto, Japan.  They were the sole supplier to everyone using that vinyl until the tsunami that hit Kyoto around 2000 destroyed the factory and the tooling to produce true woven comfortweave style vinyl.  The industry survived for a few years on existing stocks.  Not long after those stocks ran out the current pressed pattern comfortweave became widely available and is still in use today.

BTW the Utica trim plant was located at 23 Mile and Mound Rd. (near Van Dyke Ave). and a smaller facility for trim production was at the old Packard Proving Grounds at Van Dyke, south of 23 Mile Rd on the same property.
Regards,
Scott
Scott Halseth
Ford Product Manager
National Parts Depot
MCA#01776

Offline JohnRB

• 0F03R120303
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 04:39:39 PM »
...........æ

BTW the Utica trim plant was located at 23 Mile and Mound Rd. (near Van Dyke Ave). and a smaller facility for trim production was at the old Packard Proving Grounds at Van Dyke, south of 23 Mile Rd on the same property.
Regards,
Scott

Is that the same Utica company that made convertible tops?

Thanks
John

Offline Building 3

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 05:14:53 PM »
Scott: Thanks for jogging my memory. That is correct, It was called the Ford Utica Trim Plant.  I think the yearly sales were held at the smaller Ford Trim Plant on the former Packard Proving Grounds.
1966 289 C code auto convertible December 1965 scheduled build at Dearborn.

1966 289 C code auto convertible
October 1965 scheduled build at Metuchen.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 05:19:35 PM »
Recall the name and like Scott recall them being an early reproducer of seat material and kits. Not original but like original unlike what followed with other more recent reproductions.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Online Scott302

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 06:15:26 PM »
I do not know the complete and detailed history of the Ford Utica Trim Plant.  I do know they assembled the convertible tops to the frames.  I remember seeing a photo of the buck that held the top frame while the material was being installed.  I do not believe they manufactured vinyls of any kind there.  Convertible top material was and still is from Haartz.  I believe they currently supply 98% of the world market for convertible top material. Utica was more a of sub-assembly point for seats, top frames, visors, etc.
There is good info on Wikipedia on the Packard Proving Grounds.  Went to many a car show there.  When the track was still drivable every car entered into the show got a lap around the track.  Fun times.
Regards,
Scott
Scott Halseth
Ford Product Manager
National Parts Depot
MCA#01776

Offline kammertime

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 08:42:11 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Colamco had a plant in Owosso, Michigan.

Regards,
John