Author Topic: Driveshaft marking - 67 A code 11/2/66 build  (Read 3194 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Driveshaft marking - 67 A code 11/2/66 build
« on: April 19, 2017, 06:32:56 AM »
NOTE: Topic moved by Admin from a 68 thread...

OK, I scrapped the acrylic "hobby paints" idea and mixed some oil-based model paints to achieve the closest matches I could. In hind sight, the light pink color was more white than red, I should have started with white and added the magenta. (Ended up needing to buy a 2nd bottle of white, where as had I started with 1/2 bottle of white and added the magenta, then I could have gotten by with only the one bottle of white). The green stripe had very little color left on the driveshaft, only spotty remnants remained even after using EvapoRust to dissolve the rust. What I could make out looked more of a green military drab color so I started with Army Drab and lightened it with white till it matched well. This resulted in a kind of flatter color, more like semi-gloss but the color looked very close at least.

Now, I have only one more question. I found remnants of an "X" from a Grease Marker Crayon on the driveshaft but could not make out if it was white or yellow. It was only a "cleaner area" where the "X" had been.

What color crayon most likely may have been used to make this "X"
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 07:18:34 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Driveshaft marking - 67 A code 11/2/66 build
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 03:10:24 PM »
What color crayon most likely may have been used to make this "X"

Richard is this for your 67 or for a 68?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 03:49:35 PM »

Richard is this for your 67 or for a 68?

sorry, it is for my 67. I know some details to a 68 could differ even though the assembly part is essentially the same. Perhaps I should be in another thread? (same stripe colors but in different order)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 04:32:47 PM »
sorry, it is for my 67. I know some details to a 68 could differ even though the assembly part is essentially the same. Perhaps I should be in another thread? (same stripe colors but in different order)

Lets just keep it separate but maybe some of the details will be the same as in the other 68 thread.

Will report that 67 is where we start finding some X's on San Jose drivelines. Must report that the number is few, out of all the cars we find markings on but they can be found. So don't (others reading and watching) don't assume that your car did or should have one automatically

Looking at my stuff I've got a end of Jan 67 with a white applied over a stripe and a what appears to be a white X on a Oct 66 example

Not sure of the purpose or meaning at this time

Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 05:09:47 PM »
...Will report that 67 is where we start finding some X's on San Jose drivelines. Must report that the number is few, out of all the cars we find markings on but they can be found. So don't (others reading and watching) don't assume that your car did or should have one automatically

Looking at my stuff I've got a end of Jan 67 with a white applied over a stripe and a what appears to be a white X on a Oct 66 example

Not sure of the purpose or meaning at this time

Not sure either but can agree (looking at my picture also) the "X" looks to be white (more than looks to be yellow)

I have a theory on the "X"'s location...It is in line between the two weight locations on each end of the shaft. I wonder if it is a "beginning point" for the balancing process. The weights on this driveshaft are as follows: Front of shaft has one weight centered on the tube seam. Rear end of tube (has tube in tube design): two weights with edges of the weights lined up with the seam.  The "X" was centered slightly off of the tube seam, towards the two weights (towards the rear end of shaft). Stripes on the shaft are near center of driveline, front stripe is pink, center is green and rear is white. The X is on the rear half of the shaft near the white stripe.

I'll upload some of the images I have to the thread later this evening. Today, I finished painting the front slip yoke epoxy sealer primer and this "X"was the last detail before I assemble it.
Richard Urch

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 07:34:30 PM »
quote author=J_Speegle link=topic=11581.msg69647#msg69647 date=1437023930]

Dark green is more of a Hunter Green

[/quote]

Image borrowed from the other thread ONLY to demonstrate the colors I have found on my example clearer than any of the images I have, particularly the green. This particular driveshaft is said to be from a 68 Mustang. According to the '72 MPC anyways, a 67 with 289 & auto, 3 spd or 4 speed, all share the same service part numbers with a 68 of the same combination. I did see some exceptions with GT 4 speed cars and for Hi-Po cars. I am stating this to potentially help others in locating or confirming the correct driveshaft for their build dates. As seen here, obviously there can be ID striping variations so a restorer might double check the finer details before just COPYING any of the markings I am sharing in this thread.

Here is a sample of some of the pictures I took of my unrestored driveshaft below. Include the one earlier in the thread with the "X" marking and that sums it up what I started with anyways.

Rust 911 was used to dissolve the rust and it worked very well. I initially washed all the grease & oil, scrubbing and looking for any coloring on the end yokes of the driveshaft and found none. A light wire wheel grinding to only "dust" the rust layer down a little (trying not to ruin my rust remover too quickly) and then did several dips submerged in a 4 inch PVC capped pipe. Periodically, I pulled, wiped & looked to see if any other marines showed up. Just the 3 stripes and the one "X" is all I found. The slip yoke was red epoxy sealer colored with "machined" areas as bare steel.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 04:58:02 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 07:44:56 PM »
According to the MPC anyways, a 67 with 289, auto, 3 spd or 4 speed, share the same service part numbers with a 68 of the same.
Not sure if they were both the same but it does not surprise me that Ford used one to work as a replacement.

Marks do appear to be different. Never compared the two side by side to see if there are other differences

Have one C code auto example currently and its color pattern matches yours rather than the 68 pattern. Too bad the 67 buildsheets  didn't include the colors but only identified as C7ZW-H
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 07:53:45 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 07:53:23 PM »
I see five different drive shafts for 67 Mustang, see the attached Jan 67 MPC pic.  Interesting that the 289 4/B (A code) nor K code are listed.    No listing for a 390 C6.  Lots of gaps.  Not atypical for the MPC :(

They are listed as a type "Cardboard Lined".
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 09:52:17 PM »
I see five different drive shafts for 67 Mustang, see the attached Jan 67 MPC pic.  Interesting that the 289 4/B (A code) nor K code are listed.    No listing for a 390 C6.  Lots of gaps. Not atypical for the MPC :(

Try a later MPC, I think all I had available when I checked was a 72 version. I updated my previous comment to reflect the source I used.
Richard Urch

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 10:50:48 PM »
I see five different drive shafts for 67 Mustang, see the attached Jan 67 MPC pic.  Interesting that the 289 4/B (A code) nor K code are listed.    No listing for a 390 C6.  Lots of gaps.  Not atypical for the MPC :(

Yep no reason, it seems, to list parts Ford didn't carry or service.

Yes have seen that term used also to describe the style. Guess there was not an "official" term or maybe it changed through the years
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 11:44:39 AM »
DONE!

Thank you again Jeff for the article on driveshaft restoring.

Some details differ slightly from Concours Thoroughbred expectations but for a Driver Car, more than adequate!
I am pleased so that is what matters.
Richard Urch

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 04:23:47 PM »
DONE!

Thank you again Jeff for the article on driveshaft restoring.

Some details differ slightly from Concours Thoroughbred expectations but for a Driver Car, more than adequate!
I am pleased so that is what matters.

Looks very nice.  Glad to be of some help
Jeff Speegle

Offline 7R02A

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 10:00:22 PM »
Hi Richard, attached you will find pictures of my drive shift.  Details are in my signature.  My car was built close to the date and at the same plant as yours.  As you can see it was very sloppy application of the painted stripes and it does appear their is an "X" as you have found.  Maybe this will be of use.  Your restored drive shaft looks great.
Thanks, John
John
1967 Fastback, A code, automatic transmission, Deluxe interior, AC, PS, P disc brakes, tilt, consoles, exterior group, fold down, DSO 71.
San Jose build, Actual build: Dec 17, 66.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2017, 10:38:44 PM »
Hi Richard, attached you will find pictures of my drive shift.  Details are in my signature.  ...........

Signature doesn't (unless I missed it ) the trans
Jeff Speegle

Offline 7R02A

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 10:46:28 PM »
C4 auto.  I will add to signature. 
John
1967 Fastback, A code, automatic transmission, Deluxe interior, AC, PS, P disc brakes, tilt, consoles, exterior group, fold down, DSO 71.
San Jose build, Actual build: Dec 17, 66.