Author Topic: Mustang Salvage Yards  (Read 1308 times)

Offline truetriplex

Mustang Salvage Yards
« on: September 14, 2019, 08:51:18 AM »
Can some of you post the names, or web sites of salvage yards out there that specialize in Mustang parts. I know that there are some out there (and I will post those that I have discovered) and I am sure that it would help all of us to locate those parts that we need.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 04:54:28 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline roddster

Re: mustang salvage yards
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 11:53:02 AM »
  Many cleaned out a few years back when scrap metal prices peaked.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 12:40:25 PM »
Can some of you post the names, or web sites of salvage yards out there that specialize in Mustang parts.
Many cleaned out a few years back when scrap metal prices peaked.
It's more insidious than you realize. Automobile salvage yards sell insurance claimed wrecked cars to the "highest bidder". Mexico has become the "highest bidder". One of the local dismantlers I frequented simply got outbid. To make things worse, in Santa Clara County (San Francisco Bay area), there is one Mustang specialty shop remaining in the county. At one time there were about 10. The primary reason for closures was the owners died and nobody filled their shoes. Sad.
Jim   
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 01:53:08 PM »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline rrenz

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 03:29:52 PM »
Old dominion mustang and Camaro is down the street from me in Ashland va. However they are a bit pricey but usually have good parts. I’ve bought from them a handful of times.
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 04:11:28 PM »
The closest and one of my better yard sources just sold last year :(

Use to get up early on week day mornings travel as far as I could until 8 am when the yards opened then stopped and worked my way back towards home a couple of times a week buying and gathering parts.  Can't do that any longer and at least here in Ca you have to convince the yards to even get on the property due to concerns out of law suits - both for injury and from environmental justice warriors - their term not mine so not making a political  statement

Another reason to buy a good parts car if your doing a big build or even lesser.

As a side comment allot of guys will keep good yards somewhat secret though its often surprising how some of them find the yards from such distances. Also allot of yards really don't like buyers that likely represent allot of members hear. Always hear them complain that they hate people calling wanting to know what date a part has on it or some other detail. They liked it much better in the old days when customers just wanted a part without worrying about all the details   ::)

Part of the challenge is also that parts from different parts of the country are not all equal and for many well used parts from one part of the country might be a good or ok part for locals but not for someone from another part of the country.

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline bgp429

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 05:09:23 PM »
Salvage yards in general are closing. Within a 10 mile circumference there used to be 20 or so yards. Now were down to 2 full service yards and 2 self serve.  One yard that specialized in Fords just closed last year.  I knew the owner, he tried everything but kept loosing money.

Offline truetriplex

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 09:29:00 AM »
 I have discovered Mustang Masters in FL.  Freddie has a very good selection of Mustangs for parts.  He, and David are easy to deal with. I will recommend that you make sure that you have a good list of parts to order since there is a minimum shipping charge. But you do get your choice of quality, and you will pay extra for the very nice pieces.  https://www.mustangmasters.com/Home_Page.php 

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 09:55:16 AM »
that particular vendor does not have a very stellar reputation. do a search over on vintage mustang forum for a more details.
5F09C331248

Offline truetriplex

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2019, 10:30:26 AM »
Here are a couple more that I have come across.  I have NOT dealt with them, so I cannot give recommendations either way.  If someone uses them, or has used them in the past, and would report back to the forum, I am sure we would appreciate it insight.

There is Rancho Mustangs in California    http://ranchomustangparts.com/     

In Connecticut, there Chuck and Eddies    https://www.chuckandeddies.com/
Modify message

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2019, 05:05:47 PM »
Here are a couple more that I have come across.  I have NOT dealt with them, so I cannot give recommendations either way.  If someone uses them, or has used them in the past, and would report back to the forum, I am sure we would appreciate it insight.

There is Rancho Mustangs in California    http://ranchomustangparts.com/     

Located in an area of a bunch of yards and I passed by there the other day. Didn't even think to stop in - maybe next time - looked like only late model cars from what was out front

Not sure if members understand that you can do a search on Pick-N-Pull's website and it will provide yards and what they have as far as Mustangs. Just checked and one yard had an SVO and a 65. Cars can get picked over quickly by the guys that check weekly (and know what days each yard put out particular cars) but it depends on what you need.  Not sure how the different yards are owned or held in a corporation. Owner I was aware of once tried to open up a classic car Pick-N-Pull with the plan to double the cheap prices seen in the regular yard and built a collection of about 400 cars. Owner had a Boss 429 and a K code at the time I was told in his collection

Unfortunately it never opened and he sold off the car. Friends and I bought some of the Mustangs - I got a straight non- running (fairly easy fix) 71 249CJ fastback out of the yard.
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2019, 05:07:34 PM »
that particular vendor does not have a very stellar reputation. do a search over on vintage mustang forum for a more details.

+1 Tons of bad press, claims, stories out there on many sites (SAAC, Ebay....... )
Jeff Speegle