Author Topic: CO New Guy  (Read 2534 times)

Offline COSix7

CO New Guy
« on: April 20, 2017, 03:45:58 PM »
I just recently joined, and figured I should introduce myself and my car (details are in my signature.)

My name is Robert and my 67 Coupe is a one-family car, purchased off the lot by my dad and getting 100K south Texas daily driver miles on it before I bought it from him in 1983 while in high school. I always liked the car, and dad agreed to sell it to me if we first rebuilt the engine and ensured the brakes were good. Great father and son experience. It was my daily driver for another 13 years before I got a "modern" car, and now its got 211K miles on it here in Colorado.  However, it needs everything refreshed, mechanically and cosmetically, so I'm digging into it and assessing the situation.

I would describe the car as in good shape because its very original and still drives, but is very worn, and with several worn out/broken parts removed over the years and stored in boxes. Maybe the term is "survivor"?  At least I had the common sense to keep those parts. The great thing is, between my dad and myself, we KNOW what was original, and we KNOW the full history of the car, good and bad. Lots of funny and not-so-funny stories behind every dent, less-than-dignified repair/mod, roadside fix, replaced part, etc.  I'll share some stories in later posts.

As a teenager, I of course made some improper repairs/mods, and am now in the process of undoing those as I dig into the car. I find it rewarding to do so after all these years. I also find it rewarding to find that some of my shade-tree fixes held up perfectly!

My plans for the car?  Not quite sure how far I will take it, it depends upon what else I discover while digging into the car. I want to enjoy driving it again, that's for sure. I've always been a DIY guy, except for paint.  I've never requested a Marti report, so I don't know if the car is unique in any way. This website is THE BEST in terms of knowledgeable folks willing to help solve the interesting mysteries of these cars, and I'm sure I'll have some! 
67 Coupe Sports Sprint 289 2V, 3 Speed, 7R01C2234XX
19 June 67 San Jose build, Maroon Met exterior, Red interior
PS, Select-Aire A/C, AM Radio, Full Console, 211K+ miles, still driven occasionally, work in progress!

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: CO New Guy
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 03:48:17 PM »
Welcome!
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 04:30:21 PM »
Thanks for the time and the intro !!   I just finished writing a piece for a mag and LIKE YOUR STORY........it seem they have more intrest in "the rest of the story" than the numbers, restoration and blah blah blah!

Cars WERE at one time just transportation from point a to point b - "WE" made them part of our lives -naming them and passing them down through the generations!    The connection, the ties and the pleasure they bring are cheap compared to what we would lose - less we forget !

Welcome
Mark
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 04:33:33 PM by svo2scj »
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 04:44:32 PM »
Yes welcome to the site. We have a fairly tightly focused goal here and we hope that you find the help and guidance useful in your related endeavours

Glad to hear your a hands on owner, we try and carter to those when we can by providing how to's as much as possible. I find that getting my hands dirty, investigating and then discovering ways of restoring things myself give me the most pleasure and builds the bond with the car as well as to the hobby

Again welcome
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline COSix7

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 01:08:29 PM »
Thanks for welcoming me to the group!   I'm exploring the search capabilities, the way the forums are arranged, how to post pics, etc. before I ask questions.

svo2scj/Mark -- you nailed it, the way I feel about my car.  I hope that magazine publishes your article.  To me, my car is alive, and a member of the family. My earliest memories involve the car, including riding in the front passenger seat going to preschool.  As a child, I explored every page of the big Shop Manual, fascinated by how everything works.  I was always helping dad during repairs, starting off just holding the flashlight, moving up to "real help" later on, and finally doing it myself.

Robert
PS, Select-Aire A/C, AM Radio, Full Console, 211K+ miles, still driven occasionally, work in progress!

priceless

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 04:43:41 PM »
Post some photos of your 67 :)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 04:47:47 PM »
Post some photos of your 67 :)

If you want to I invite you to start your own thread in the Member Restorations/Builds area of the site
Jeff Speegle

priceless

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 05:06:47 PM »
If you want to I invite you to start your own thread in the Member Restorations/Builds area of the site
??? Not talking about my Mustang.....

COsix7, Welcome to you, and if you want to, I invite you to start a thread in the member restorations/builds of the site.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 06:46:37 PM »
??? Not talking about my Mustang.....

Didn't think you were   :-\ Just adding to your good suggestion of adding some pictures if he chooses to
Jeff Speegle

Offline COSix7

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 08:04:40 PM »
I know I have some pics of the car (maybe even from when it was new -- it was a big deal for my family to buy a car).   I am piecing together everything I have, bits of paperwork, anecdotes from my dad, police report from "the accident", gathering up original parts that I stored away, etc.  I am already finding stuff in the car that has my curiosity peaked.  I may indeed start the thread in the Restorations/Builds area as you've suggested.

Tell me: Everything I find is of course very interesting to ME, but what about everyone else?  When I dig into a particular area of the car that hasn't seen the light of day since it rolled off the assy line, should I post photos in my thread in the Restorations/Builds areas, or would that soon bore everyone to death?  What about interesting, personal stories that make up the family history with the car in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and later? 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 08:34:50 PM »
Tell me: Everything I find is of course very interesting to ME, but what about everyone else?  When I dig into a particular area of the car that hasn't seen the light of day since it rolled off the assy line, should I post photos in my thread in the Restorations/Builds areas, or would that soon bore everyone to death?  What about interesting, personal stories that make up the family history with the car in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and later?

You choice or do both.  Consider that even though you might post a picture of a a "boring" area or detail it can help confirm something we knew (but always good to get supporting documentation) or start a new conversation. Many times its not what you took a picture of (the subject) but something else caught in the picture that sparks a discussion, which if it works out best can be moved and expanded upon in a new thread.

The challenge is that we don't know what others don't know and we find that we often assume that everyone has had the same experiences and are at a similar level of knowledge though we have found over and over this is not the case.
Jeff Speegle

Offline COSix7

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2017, 08:42:33 PM »
Got it, that makes sense, thanks Jeff!

Offline chrisboss429

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2017, 11:24:52 AM »
Welcome to the stable!
65 /B GT Coupe DSO 71 18S
89 lx hb 5.0 DSO 71 1/89

Offline 79mustangcobra

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2017, 06:35:41 PM »
Welcome. Glad you are here.
1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
MCA #70281 -  79-93 MCA Concours Judge
Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline COSix7

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2019, 05:01:58 PM »
Super old thread, I know.  After a two+ year absence, I am back on my car project.  I'll start a new thread soon in the member restorations/builds area and select some representative photos to post.