Author Topic: Carlite Glass Logo?  (Read 1260 times)

Offline Morsel

Carlite Glass Logo?
« on: April 27, 2017, 07:18:41 PM »
Hey all, I'm wondering if the Carlite glass logo is really etched in the glass or some type of silk screen. Just wondering because some of mine has faded or worn a little and it seems like if it was really etched it would have help up over time.

Actually, the real reason I'm asking is I'm trying to clean my vent windows while I have them out of the frames and regular washing didn't really do the trick, was thinking of cleaning them with something a little more aggressive but don't want to buff off the Carlite logos...

Has anyone tried CLR on their old glass by the way, just wondering if that worked...

Thanks,

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Carlite Glass Logo?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 12:07:45 AM »
The logos were originally etched.  They can be buffed off.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 12:44:01 AM »
Most glass shops (home and auto) sell a glass cleaner/polish that is a heavy paste like thick tooth paste that I've used
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Morsel

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 01:02:52 AM »
Thanks guys...

The old residue and water spots were really bad and wouldn't come off with anything I tried. Someone on another site suggested wet 0000 steel wool. I tried it on an extra vent window just to make sure it didn't scratch the glass. It worked amazing and my glass was really bad and is spotless now with zero scratches, I did stay away from the Carlite logos when I was scrubbing away.

Thanks,

Jason.
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 01:35:24 AM »
Thanks for the tip.  Good to put in my bag of tricks.  Did you use dry 0000 steel wool or did you treat it with something like mineral spirits?
65 Dearborn Built Fastback
Approximate Build Date, September 2, 1964
289 4V, C4, PS, PB, No A/C

Offline Morsel

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 05:42:14 AM »
Thanks for the tip.  Good to put in my bag of tricks.  Did you use dry 0000 steel wool or did you treat it with something like mineral spirits?

Basically just did it in the sink with warm water and some dish soap as a lubricant. Didn't want to go dry because I was worried about scratching the glass, but did put some elbow grease and pressure into it and was surprised how well it worked.

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 10:30:34 AM »
Toothpaste is a good "abrasive" for cleaning glass.    Those of you that have TOM'S of Maine are on the lower scale of abrasivitity................Colgate Tarter control that is one the other end of the scale ! 

Mark
P.S.  Don't worry about Sodium or Stanous Flouride (either will work)  But the latter helps with gigivitis! LOL
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969