Author Topic: Original Rear Axle Seal  (Read 648 times)

Offline sanluis09

Original Rear Axle Seal
« on: May 05, 2017, 05:27:53 PM »
Hi everyone,

I need your help to identify the original Rear Axle Seal that came with my car and what exactly does it has stamped on it.... this is for a 1965 289 car.... I guess it doesn't matter the manufacture plant, but if so, please consider Dearborn plant.

A couple of years ago I've purchased through eBay three NOS rear axle seals for my car (I just need one, but I have not installed it yet).... please see pictures of the seals I've received. I don't know if they're truly original or Ford replacement parts.... or if they're NEW replacement parts and not Ford originals....they came in that Ford box (I know that there are some sellers out there that the only original item they send is the box  :( .....     so what do you think?

I would be knowing for sure how it is the original one as soon as I replaced it, as the rear axle parts had never been replaced on my car.

Thank you,
Luis
1965 WW Hardtop, 289-2V, 3-speed manual transmission. Unrestored. Assembled in Mexico on the time frame of: Oct 64-Feb 65.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Original Rear Axle Seal
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 11:51:54 PM »
They're replacement Ford seals.  The originals had the C1UW stamped in them and FoMoCo script.  The originals were also leather/fiber, not rubber.  You'd be better off using these instead of searching for the old style.  They can't be seen once the axle is installed.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Scott302

Re: Original Rear Axle Seal
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 11:57:13 AM »
Ford replacement seals supplied by Federal-Mogul National seal.  The National part number is 51322.  They are still available under that part number albeit a little pricey.
Regards,
Scott
Scott Halseth
Ford Product Manager
National Parts Depot
MCA#01776