Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 1708 times)

Offline A.D.D.

Introduction
« on: May 10, 2017, 01:36:06 PM »
Hello from the West Coast,

Just joined this forum hoping to learn something.

I have an early 1965 Mustang (April '64), looking for a little guidance.
 Any Early 1965 experts out there?

Thanks in advance!
1965 Mustang hardtop
Raven Black, Black interior, "D" code, 4 speed.

5F07D114xxx

Data Plate:
Body (65A)  Color (A) Trim (86) Date (15D) DSO 71 Axle (1)Trans (5)

Offline jwc66k

Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 02:01:45 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Post some pictures, that's a standard reply. Add some history how you got the car, and what are your plans for it.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 04:51:05 PM »
Welcome to the site. Hope you find the help and information here a great help in your concours related endeavors

You should find plenty of help but be warned (should have already seen this) that we'll need to know when and where the car in question was built just about every time you ask a question

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=22.0

As for "early" 65's, that can mean allot of different things to different people but I assure you there will be help and assistance

That's what we're here for
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 10:56:42 PM »
Welcome, do you mean early 64 1/2 or early 65?  ;D
Regards,
Dom
64 1/2 Caspian Blue Convertible - Dearborn

Offline chrisboss429

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 12:44:59 AM »
Welcome to a wealth of knowledge and experience, this forum is genuine parts!
65 /B GT Coupe DSO 71 18S
89 lx hb 5.0 DSO 71 1/89

Offline A.D.D.

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 02:48:24 AM »
Thanks.

My Mustang is a 64 1/2...

Built April 15 1964. It is a Raven Black with Black interior coupe with a "D" code, 4 speed, DSO Los Angeles.

The car was restored about 15-20 years ago. As of today it is a 20 footer.

I am driving and enjoying it (she is a BLAST to drive), but also correcting minor issues as I go along. I have owned several vintage Mustangs, but this is the earliest car.

Being a history buff, the way the car was built intrigues me. Of the 15,000 or so cars built before April 17th, can't imagine too many black on black "D" code 4speed coupes were built. I doubt someone ordered the car that way (maybe a dealer). But for a month or two, that was the fastest Mustang available.

1965 Mustang hardtop

5F07D114xxx

Data Plate:

Offline GT500KR

• Charlie Ping
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 03:38:35 AM »
Welcome. I have a Black D code built very close to yours. would be interesting to see your VIN. If you have any questions, please ask. Lots of small differences on these cars that can't be bought in a catalogue, hope the previous restoration didn't erase too many of them.
Current Project:
64.5 Black DB Cpe
5F07D1131XX  4/14/64

The stable:
65 Ivy Green Coupe 4SPD
68 Candy Apple Red GT500KR 4SPD FB
70 Grabber Blue Boss 429
86 JalapeƱo Red GT  5SPD
91 Emerald Green Saleen Conv. 5SPD
03 Sonic Blue Cobra Conv.
07 Black GT500 Cp

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 11:09:51 AM »
Built April 15 1964. It is a Raven Black with Black interior coupe with a "D" code, 4 speed, DSO Los Angeles.

Keep in mind that the date on the door plate is a 'scheduled' build date and may be the actual or days/weeks before or after.  With early production cars, it's probably more close to the actual production date.  Although something out of the ordinary could have pushed out the actual production date.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline A.D.D.

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 05:10:15 PM »
Thanks.

GT500KR: Is yours a 4 speed? Out of curiosity what was the DSO?

I have seen maybe 25% of production vins across various registries... it appears that VINS's were done it batches. By color, engine code, DSO, etc.

My VIN is: 5F07D114xxx.

Caspian65: Fortunately an enthusiast had the car (from what I can tell). The paint work is really coming apart (one minor flaw at a time), otherwise the car looks like a 25 year old well preserved Mustang. Odometer shows 85k and it's possible. The seats still have stitched pleats and are pretty worn. Dash is mint, guage lens has fine spider webbing, carpet was replaced but has early car vinyl edging with vinyl leading up to sill plates, headliner look 100% original. Not sure about the hood (refined), but passenger fender is a replacement (no dates, strange mark).

The car lightly modified with aftermarket styled wheels (in pic), a column tach and chrome dress up on engine.

I found what are supposed to be 64 1/2 steel wheels and will probably grab some hubcaps.

Because the car was a Los Angeles bound '65 and that it is black/black "D" code 4 speed with manual steering, I am going for a "Day 2" look. I will gather the proper stuff for the car. But, plan to enjoy the car with American Racing 5 spokes Irecently mounted (Shelby R type), the vintage tach, chrome dress up parts and and plan to install cobra type seat belts. Mostly bolt ons (that can easily be reversed). I am imagining what some cool kid back in 1964 would have done. When this car made it to the Dealer, it must have been VERY cool for a few months in SoCal! Guys were still building 1932 Ford Roadsters and 1940 Ford coupes. Most young guys in April 1964 would have been driving early 60's Chevy 409's, Ford full size 390, 406 and 427 "R" codes, Dodge Street Wedges, along with 1962 Nova's with a v8 swap, and Falcon Futura Sprints! This Black Mustang 4 speed must have been a hit at the hamburger stand!

Unfortunately I know very little about the cars history. The seller didn't know much, said his Uncle restored it. He did mention a connection to Galpin Ford in the 1960's (as in, it was sold there). Also said it was in California until the 90's.

VERY tempted to strip the radiator core support to read the "Build Notes".

Overall, it's a really cool car. I am enjoying it! If I find out some cool history, it will go with the car (along with correct pieces). I am one of those "Car Guys" that owns LOTS of cars, enjoys them all and eventually passes most of them to another custodian...

I am reading Bob Fria's book and joined here to learn more about these early cars.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 05:12:46 PM by A.D.D. »
1965 Mustang hardtop

5F07D114xxx

Data Plate:

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 06:04:20 PM »
I have seen maybe 25% of production vins across various registries... it appears that VINS's were done it batches. By color, engine code, DSO, etc.

This was when the orders were entered in the computers (just like the build orders for commercial trucks, police car orders, some bus companies, Shelby groups and the like)  and appears to have been done to establish inventory across the board at start up and following that push. Orders from dealerships (cars already paid for with buyers waiting. , though possibly entered later, would have taken priority over these orders and of course they were built in sequential order.

At one point I owned the first special order car from the southern California district 720001.  Not sure what motivated that order other than a dealer getting creative and attempting to be the first to get a fastback. Ended up cutting the roof off and using it as a donor for a 65 K code fastback.

Again welcome
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)