1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1966 Mustang

'66 hood letter installation with no holes present

(1/3) > >>

socalgt:
I'm assuming it's a big job to install F O R D on a hood that has had the holes filled in......I assume there isn't a ready made templet available for the holes.  I don't want to use reproduction letters, so I thought about cutting the points off original letters and maybe using silicone.  Are the points visible from the backside of the hood on original letters?  I don't have a car in my possession currently to look at.

socalgt:
I found a good article in Mustang Monthly about just this....shows the position of the letters very clearly in pictures using a sewing tape measure.  Article titled "How to pin letters on '65-'68 Mustang".

Hipo giddyup:
I do believe a  few of the pins can be seen from underneath when looking into the access holes. I have used another hood as a template with using masking tape, marking the holes with an awl through the tape, then transferring the masking tape "template" and matching it to the new hood. Has worked well for me in the past. I realize not everyone has a spare hood lying around.  :(

socalgt:
Sounds like a good method...if, as you say, you have an extra hood.  The article was very detailed with the placement of each letter, so I'll plan on using it.

Thanks

drummingrocks:
If the holes have been filled in, I would worry about possibly disturbing the filler if you tried to re-drill the holes.  If it doesn't have to look completely original from the underside of the hood, have you thought about going with adhesive-backed letters?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version