Author Topic: Library updates and additions  (Read 928 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Library updates and additions
« on: May 19, 2017, 12:32:59 AM »
Just posted the 1969-70 Slop Gray verses Black usage article in the 1969 and 1970 sections. Also did a little adjusting to the Paint Marks article posted in all of the year sections. Also posted the following new article. Hope others find it useful if it applies specifically to what you own or are building

Just posted up a final (hopefully) draft of a 15 year + project for comment and correction.  English was never one of my better subjects in school.  I've been sending these out, rather than retyping all of this every time some one asks, for at least the last twelve years so figured it would never be perfect and that I should share at this point so I can get others completed. Still need to figure out what, when converted to pdf, some pictures pick up horizontal lines :(  Maybe its just too many pictures and too large a file.

It's posted in the 1970 section of the Library under the title of  Undercarriage - Finishes and Sealer Guide for 1970 Dearborn Built Mustangs Big file

Thanks

Thanks for looking
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

Re: Library updates and additions
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 12:55:28 PM »
Jeff,
What's the history of the name "slop gray"? I read the article and the pictures of restored cars definitely make the differences stand out.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Library updates and additions
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 04:00:17 PM »
What's the history of the name "slop gray"? I read the article and the pictures of restored cars definitely make the differences stand out.

Not certain of the history or who first proposed using (what appears to be) left over paint from other sources but would guess it might have been a result of the Dearborn plants success of using a similar practice with the undercarriage coating for years prior to the 69 Dearborn introduction of this practice.

Been my experience that the 69-70 slop gray is much closer to black than some of the colors sold to reproduce the coating. This may be the results of suppliers copying 71-72 versions of the color which often (on original cars) appears to be much lighter and closer to a medium gray base than the 69-70 color.

Just my observations
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)