1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1967 Mustang

Early 67 speed control servo location

(1/3) > >>

67gta:
Hi Folks, newbie to the site.

Just saw a 67 289 coupe this past weekend that has speed control and A/C. The owner said it was built in September 66. Now I've seen speed control cars before and they all have had the servo mounted below the passenger side hood hinge. This was the rare (at least for me) Curtiss-Wright unit with three relays and it was mounted on the firewall in the middle between where the shock tower braces meet the cowl lip. The bellows and bell crank looked like the others I've seen. And it had a different turn signal lever with the end button but also a outside cover that rotated. Under the passenger hood hinge the vacuum tank for the A/C was there.
My questions are; is this the correct location for the servo and is it because the A/C tank was present? Or is it due to the Curtiss-Wright unit being used?
Any idea date wise that the servo was changed to the Perfect-Circle unit?

Thanks
James

67gtasanjose:
Such an early car (I assume regular production), anything can be possible but the FIRST question I would have is to ask if the Marti Report calls for the Speed Control (or not). Without a Marti Report, I would first presume it was Dealer or P.O. installed.

In the Library section of this forum (under 1967), there is an article on Speed Control (dated after September I believe) but it will represent better what Ford eventually began doing, more than what they started out doing at beginning of production. Maybe a read-thru will shed a little light but remember to take note on dates when investigating such a rare option as this. I think I heard somewhere that less than 20 (of each Body style) were Factory Installed in 1967 model year.

ruppstang:
Mustang by the numbers says that there were 17 hardtops, 20 fastbacks and 18 convertibles for a total of 55 1967 Mustangs with the speed control option.

It is my understanding that these 55 cars were all produced by Ford for dealer demonstrator cars. There were no customer ordered speed control cars.
I do not know why this was. Possibly there were some problems with the system or supply problems. No question that Ford never recovered the engineering and development cost on this option in 67.

krelboyne:

--- Quote from: ruppstang on May 23, 2017, 09:00:04 AM ---Mustang by the numbers says that there were 17 hardtops, 20 fastbacks and 18 convertibles for a total of 55 1967 Mustangs with the speed control option.

It is my understanding that these 55 cars were all produced by Ford for dealer demonstrator cars. There were no customer ordered speed control cars.
I do not know why this was. Possibly there were some problems with the system or supply problems. No question that Ford never recovered the engineering and development cost on this option in 67.

--- End quote ---

Additionally, there were a total of 665 1967 Mercury Cougars with the speed control option.

67gtasanjose:

--- Quote from: krelboyne on May 23, 2017, 12:23:21 PM ---Additionally, there were a total of 665 1967 Mercury Cougars with the speed control option.

--- End quote ---

So, statistically speaking a business that perhaps specializes in Early Cougars, may have more likely seen the various FACTORY Installed systems (across the model year) and may, or may not have, some light to shed onto this "POSSIBLE" factory installed EARLY (September '66) Mustang system.

btw, a few photos of Factory Installed 1967 Speed Control Systems would be worth a thousand words...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version