Author Topic: 1967 GT trunk interior  (Read 1461 times)

Offline jpwatkins9

1967 GT trunk interior
« on: June 03, 2017, 04:26:21 PM »
I am a new member, have owned our 67 GT fastback S code since it was new.  It has never had anything covering the right and left sides of the trunk area.  Just the inside of the rear fenders,  lots of space to store stuff there.  Just wondering if Ford forgot something there?  This is a San Jose care made end of April 1967, and sold in Santa Ana Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1967 GT trunk interior
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 05:46:14 PM »
First welcome to the site - Hope you find your find the information and help here useful in your concours related endeavours

Not sure what you are referring to with the statement " It has never had anything covering the right and left sides of the trunk area.  Just the inside of the rear fenders,  lots of space to store stuff there."  Guess this might be your first and possibly only Mustang. To the interior metal sound deadener was applied to the surface prepaint. On the drivers side a small filler board kept things from falling into the quarter panel to trunk floor well while on the passenger side the spare tire sort of kept things away. A trunk mat with padding under the gas tank area was standard but that was about it. These were affordable cars with an eye on keeping cost down when it came to building them in most cases especially in the earlier years.

Here is an earlier San Jose trunk.  Later cars had a dark gray/black filler board rather than the brown masonite  that is bending/falling down in the trunk well

Though a 67 Dearborn examples here is a picture of a very nice original trunk looking at the drivers side

« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 04:01:42 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jpwatkins9

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 07:19:08 PM »
We do have the black and white checked trunk cover, the gas tank cover and sound deadener under that and the space saver spare.  No micarta board that I know of.  Possibly I never noticed it and it has disintegrated during the cars storage while we were out of the country.  Just going through everything to get it back to how it was when we bought it in 67.  Will post some pictures.

Another question, our air cleaner (390 4 barrel) has a light blue sticker that says 390 cubic inches 4V premium fuel.  Ends are black and white checkerboard pattern.  Only repro stickers I have seen are Orange and black.  Which is correct?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 07:43:12 PM »
We do have the black and white checked trunk cover, the gas tank cover and sound deadener under that and the space saver spare.  No micarta board that I know of.  Possibly I never noticed it and it has disintegrated during the cars storage while we were out of the country.  Just going through everything to get it back to how it was when we bought it in 67.  Will post some pictures.

Since your car is a lter car we would expect that it had the cardboard filler rather than the sawdust based board

Another question, our air cleaner (390 4 barrel) has a light blue sticker that says 390 cubic inches 4V premium fuel.  Ends are black and white checkerboard pattern.  Only repro stickers I have seen are Orange and black.  Which is correct?

Look for it in the T Bird air cleaner decals

Have seen it use on many San Jose built Thermactor based cars
Jeff Speegle

Offline jpwatkins9

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 10:18:57 AM »
Thanks for the help, guess I will see if that piece for the trunk is available, if not should be easy to cut one.  The blue air cleaner decal is in decent shape so don't need to do anything with that.  Now to get my tilt steering back to working, have a small bit of play in the wheel so have to investigate that.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 11:17:18 AM »
...Now to get my tilt steering back to working, have a small bit of play in the wheel so have to investigate that.

Inside the tilt column is a universal nut that works loose (or wears down) that is typically the cause of play inside of the column. I just did my column about a month ago and started a thread for discussion. Feel free to add to the discussion or perhaps start another thread. Many have walked this path ahead of you so we can help you.

The "Search Feature" is your friend, but it can be difficult to navigate, choosing the best words for your particular search is the right answer but often too many words or too few of the correct words limit the results. Here is a start though: http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=15852.msg99442#msg99442
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline jpwatkins9

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 01:04:35 PM »
Richard, thanks.  I just went through the Tilt mechanical parts and cleaned out a ton of 50 year old hard grease.  Checked all the teeth and pins and all were good.  Was wondering how to get to that universal joint.  Will start the research. 

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 06:49:14 PM »
Richard, thanks.  I just went through the Tilt mechanical parts and cleaned out a ton of 50 year old hard grease.  Checked all the teeth and pins and all were good.  Was wondering how to get to that universal joint.  Will start the research.

Move the discussion over to another topic related to the steering column and we will help you out. This thread is about the trunk area so not good to discuss it here.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 06:51:18 PM »
Thanks for the help, guess I will see if that piece for the trunk is available, .............

Yes the cardboard filler is available in reproduction form
Jeff Speegle