Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Processes, Products & Techniques

Unrestored exhaust manifolds

(1/4) > >>

ruppstang:
I have a unrestored 68 mustang with a 289 that the exhaust manifolds are a little rusty. Is there a way to improve their appearance with out restoring them?

67350#1242:
Don't know if you are ok with painting them, but if so I've used Eastwood's hi temp coating with great results.  Get the brush-on not aerosol can as it will clog up.    This stuff replicates raw cast iron and lasts for years, even if painted over surface rust. A thinned down coat works best.

http://www.eastwood.com/factory-gray-hi-temp-coating.html

jwc66k:

--- Quote from: ruppstang on June 17, 2017, 08:43:41 AM ---I have a unrestored 68 mustang with a 289 that the exhaust manifolds are a little rusty. Is there a way to improve their appearance with out restoring them?

--- End quote ---
No.
Rust never sleeps. Years back we used a graphite spray by McKay, but I don't know if it's still available. In any case, after a couple of years the graphite sprayed manifolds started to show signs of rust.

--- Quote from: 67350#1242 on June 17, 2017, 01:02:40 PM ---- but if so I've used Eastwood's hi temp coating with great results.  Get the brush-on not aerosol can as it will clog up.    http://www.eastwood.com/factory-gray-hi-temp-coating.html

--- End quote ---
Mine has lasted at least five years.

--- Quote from: 67350#1242 on June 17, 2017, 01:02:40 PM ---- even if painted over surface rust.

--- End quote ---
Rust will show thru. Rust never sleeps.

--- Quote from: 67350#1242 on June 17, 2017, 01:02:40 PM ---A thinned down coat works best.

--- End quote ---
I tried that. It didn't work too well.
Jim

midlife:
I used Eastwood's product as well, being very careful to follow their instructions.  The manifolds sat for 3 years after painting before the engine fired back up, and the paint almost immediately burned off, leaving bare metal once again.  *sigh*

jwc66k:
If, the big "if", you can stand the odor (yelling and threats too), bake the fresh painted items in your oven. The odor goes away, and the roasted cracked crab came out perfect.
Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version