Author Topic: What is the correct finish for these bolts?  (Read 822 times)

Offline MustangAndFairlane1867

What is the correct finish for these bolts?
« on: June 17, 2017, 02:47:02 PM »
I've got the motor out of my '65 Mustang and I'm starting to clean and paint the engine compartment, but I'm not sure if the 6 bolts that secure the shock tower covers should be painted over with the rest of the compartment, or removed, cleaned and reinstalled "raw," i.e., no paint.  My suspicion is that these bolts were in place at the factory before the engine bay was painted and that they received the same paint as the rest of the compartment.  But, I've been wrong before (understatement).  It's a San Jose car with a February 1965 build date.  Thanks, Ron

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: What is the correct finish for these bolts?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 04:04:45 PM »
should be bright zinc plated.
5F09C331248

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 04:37:41 PM »
Finish code -S8 is zinc plating with a medium silver sheen.
I recommend you get a set of Osborn Productions Mustang Assembly Manuals for your year car. In addition to the Body, Interior, Electrical and Engine Manuals, you should get the 64 1/2-65 Chassis and Weld/Sealant Manuals.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline MustangAndFairlane1867

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 07:47:22 PM »
Thanks, Jim.  I have the electrical manual which I bought several years ago at NPD, if memory serves.  What is a good source for all the others you mention?  I hope I'm not posting too many questions here as I work at bringing my Mustang back into the world.  Everyone's answers are extremely helpful and it will probably be a while before I can add all those books to my library.  Thanks, Ron

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 07:57:46 PM »
NPD is a good source. So is Virginia Classic. Both stores are represented by active posters on the forum.
As long as we're on the subject, check out the Mustang Hardware Spreadsheets 64-66 in the library. The manuals were the basis for the spreadsheets, along with the 75 edition of the MPC and me running out to the garage and seeing what's there.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.