Author Topic: Bolts with washers permanently attached  (Read 1087 times)

Offline MustangAndFairlane1867

Bolts with washers permanently attached
« on: June 18, 2017, 01:30:58 PM »
In the course of cleaning and detailing the engine bay of my '65 Mustang (San Jose/February 16, 1965) I notice that there are two different style bolts with permanently affixed washers: One has a washer that looks like the classic "star" washer, and the other has a round washer with a serrated edge around the entire circumference of the washer's outer lip.  Some of the bolts are used along the top of the fenders to secure them to the "rails," and others are used to secure the coil covers in place.  I'm, of course, curious if these two distinctly different types of bolts are correct for my early '65, or did some PO mix and match these at one time in the past?  If that's the case, which is correct for my application, and is there an after-market source for a handful of these if I need them?  As always, thanks for any insight.  Ron

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Bolts with washers permanently attached
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 03:14:32 PM »
Yes, a mix of bolt styles is very typical.  There are patterns of bolt styles and markings depending on the time of production and assembly plant.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline MustangAndFairlane1867

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 03:38:20 PM »
Whew.  Lol.  Thanks, Charles.  Ron...

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 04:20:10 PM »
Yes, a mix of bolt styles is very typical.  There are patterns of bolt styles and markings depending on the time of production and assembly plant.
In the course of cleaning and detailing the engine bay of my '65 Mustang (San Jose/February 16, 1965) I notice that there are two different style bolts with permanently affixed washers: One has a washer that looks like the classic "star" washer, and the other has a round washer with a serrated edge around the entire circumference of the washer's outer lip.
Ron,
In general the external toothed (aka star) washers were used in 1965 San Jose production. My May 65 Fastback build is 100 percent external tooth for the front body. I've owned the car for 18 years and replaced fender bolts (and other locations) with the same style washer and head marking. The three previous owners, the "original" and the two looking for a "quick turn" didn't do any restoration work so I am confident in the hardware accuracy. Over time, well meaning restorers and shops obtain almost anything available, hence the not so good "mix".
However, it's a different story on my Oct 65 builds, a Hardtop and a Fastback, they have a mix but with more disc than external tooth.
What was determined on the fenders for 65 and 66 was the first and last bolts were installed at one work station first from a bolt bucket on the left and a bolt bucket on the right. This was to facilitate adjustments. The car moved down the assembly line where the hood and grill sheet metal were installed and adjusted, from their own sets of bolt buckets, and then the fenders were adjusted. Further on down the line, the middle four fender bolts were installed from their own set of bolt buckets. That's the how you get a "mix", and it's a result of the process. The 16 bolts used on the spring shield (the proper name is "Bracket, upper A arm bumper) are a different length and were installed well before the fenders.
A March 66 San Jose Fastback I restored was almost 100 percent disc.
Remember, these are San Jose observations, Dearborn and Metuchen were different.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline rrenz

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 09:42:22 PM »
I have good mix of both styles on my 66 NJ coupe. Best way to go about it when replacing or restoring your hardware is looking for witness marks on the part which will tell you which style way originally in that position.I found along the way that what a supplier may call a "correct bolt" may not be what was originally on the car.
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary