1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1966 Shelby

Hood pin cables losing plastic coating

(1/3) > >>

Hipo giddyup:
 Not sure where to place this... I was wondering if the original Shelby GT350's had a coating on their hood pin clip cable?? If so what was used or what could be used to restore or at least keep the metal cable from scratching the hood?

J_Speegle:
If this is for your 66 clone - 66's didn't use lanyards for the hood pin clips

Hipo giddyup:
Yes, I wasn't sure what if any Mustangs with hood pins came with cables?? Even so I'm guessing a re-dip in a clear plastic-coat would suffice?? I hear people have good results dipping other items?? It seems to stay flexible and weather resistant.

jwc66k:
Way back when, 1966 to be exact, I got a about five feet of vinyl covered 1/8 inch cable from a hardware store and made my own hood pin cables, not as a clone car (the term did not exist in 66) but as retainers for a pair of small padlocks for the hood pins I installed as a security measure.
Jim

J_Speegle:
As Jim mentioned you might consider stripping off all the outer cover (or just go down to Orchard Supply and by new) along with a new clear (or choose a color that would go with the exterior) vinyl tubing to act as the covering. Even aquarium air hose would work if you match up the sizes.  Should be able to find aluminum crimps to fold the ends over and make a loop

I run hood pins on one of my modified cars. Don't use lanyards just trained myself to slip the click pins into my pocket when I remove them

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version