Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Drivetrain

Rear End Oil Slinger - 66

(1/2) > >>

rrenz:
Had a pinion bearing go bad on me this past weekend on the way back from a show. 8 inch removable carrier rear end. I've got everything apart and ready for reassembly. While going through the shop manual they list a oil slinger that is installed in front of the forward bearing behind the yoke. I did not have one when i took it apart. Ive now also seen where others have not found this in their rear ends either. Whats the deal?

J_Speegle:
Guess your referring to this

--- Quote from: rrenz on June 26, 2017, 04:05:52 PM ---................ Ive now also seen where others have not found this in their rear ends either. Whats the deal?

--- End quote ---

Not sure what you mean by "seen where others have not found this in their rear ends either"??   These are 50 year old cars and others missing the same part doesn't always equate to the way they were originally built ;)

Sure there are plenty of examples where a rebuilder or someone replacing the front seal thought "whats this for ......we don't need it" when it came time to put it all back together

rrenz:
This one right...here.

Bob Gaines:
FYI typically bare steel.

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: rrenz on June 26, 2017, 09:53:13 PM ---This one right...here.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for clarifying the exact part your referring to. Appears to do the same job as the oil slinger on the crankshaft of the engine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version