Author Topic: 1965 Pony Interior Info Needed  (Read 1197 times)

Offline barnett468

1965 Pony Interior Info Needed
« on: June 30, 2017, 12:28:08 AM »
I have a 1965 coupe with a deluxe interior designation of 65B and date of 29 S and the door tag is orig, not a repo . The bottom of the metal dash is straight where the gauges mount  . It does not have the curved area below where the speedo goes for clearance for the round speedometer on a 5 gauge cluster . I have read that some early pony cars had a straight gauge cluster with wood grain or a 5 gauge cluster with wood grain but the bottom of the cluster was flat in the speedo area to allow it to fit the early 65's with the straight metal dash.

Could a 65 have a straight metal dash with deluxe interior?

If so, what instrument cluster would be correct?

When was the deluxe interior option actually available?

Thanks in advance for any help.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 08:19:14 PM by J_Speegle »

Online CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 1965 PONY INTERIOR INFO NEEDED
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 09:56:39 AM »
First question would be, do you have the original warranty/door plate?  If not, I would guess that deluxe interior was added to the car at some point.  The straight bottom edge would be expected only for std interior cars.  There was no option for wood-grain to be added to the early Falcon-style cluster.

Deluxe interior cars were built starting late March/early April '65 in preparation of the 1 year anniversary on 4/17/65.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

priceless

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 12:43:41 PM »
I think he said it was original in his first sentence. But I've never heard of an "S" for a month in the date code.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 12:51:45 PM »
I think he said it was original in his first sentence. But I've never heard of an "S" for a month in the date code.
It's May, 1965, same as my San Jose GT Fastback. Ford "started" the 1965 in 64 and used the letters in seguence to continue the model year after February, 65 with "Q". Naturally it's a perfect system.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 06:06:05 PM »
Could a 65 have a straight metal dash with deluxe interior?

No as the gauge cluster could not be installed.

Of course adding the GT and the pony interior packages were always popular so finding a converted car is fairly easy. Know of a couple of west coast shops that converted every car they "restored" during the 80's

When early owners did this and found the cluster didn't fit they often did a half a** job and would only add seats and maybe door panels depending on the condition of the donor car parts. Often things like rear quarter trim on coupes, door lights  or door handle posts are overlooked and can be indicators also as well as hacked wire looms

If the door tag is original and hasn't been replace that's a great place to start.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline barnett468

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 07:29:22 PM »
No as the gauge cluster could not be installed.

Of course adding the GT and the pony interior packages were always popular so finding a converted car is fairly easy. Know of a couple of west coast shops that converted every car they "restored" during the 80's

When early owners did this and found the cluster didn't fit they often did a half a** job and would only add seats and maybe door panels depending on the condition of the donor car parts. Often things like rear quarter trim on coupes, door lights  or door handle posts are overlooked and can be indicators also as well as hacked wire looms

If the door tag is original and hasn't been replace that's a great place to start.

thanks jeff but that doesn't explain why my door tag says it came with pony interior and someone else with a 65 with pony interior said their original 5 gauge cluster had a flat spot on the bottom by the speedo so it could be installed in the straight dash.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 08:16:59 PM »
thanks jeff but that doesn't explain why my door tag says it came with pony interior and

someone else with a 65 with pony interior said their original 5 gauge cluster had a flat spot on the bottom by the speedo so it could be installed in the straight dash.

Are they both from the same plant?  Same time period? 

Since its from a period (if built around the projected build period) when the parts were available doesn't make allot of sense to modify parts to make things fit.

Again what wire loom do you have installed? There was no standard 65 gauge bezel available from the factory with woodgrain that I'm aware of just aftermarket add on.

Anything else missing from what would normally be included in the option?

Just responding to your request for help

We see lots of oddities often the results of things long forgotten. A single finding or even multiples from different plants or times does not move me JMHO to acceptance quickly. Just seen too many things over the 50 or so years
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 08:20:42 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Online CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 1965 Pony Interior Info Needed
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 01:18:19 PM »
Post a picture of the door tag.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin