Author Topic: Exhaust and bumper guards?  (Read 1551 times)

Offline MustangAndFairlane1867

Exhaust and bumper guards?
« on: July 01, 2017, 02:21:32 PM »
Did the '65 K code cars come with the tipless, down-turned dual exhaust, and were the rear bumper guards deleted as in these pictures?  Thanks, Ron

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Exhaust and bumper guards?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 03:24:30 PM »
Yes the bumper guard were simply left off that car by a PO

As far as the exhaust it might help if we knew what system your asking about. Believe there were three systems installed based on when the car was built.  But at least the last two versions had turn down tips that slipped over the proceeding pipe/resonator before the valance  So yes there were tips
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 04:01:17 PM »
Jeff--Sorry about the omission.  It's a '65 K code fastback (San Jose/2.16.65) and I suspect it might be the only one out of the T, C, A and K codes that came with the turn-down tips.  Unsure about the bumper guards, though, and whether the turn-down extensions are available after market.  Thanks,  Ron...

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 04:11:18 PM »
Jeff--Sorry about the omission.  It's a '65 K code fastback (San Jose/2.16.65) and I suspect it might be the only one out of the T, C, A and K codes that came with the turn-down tips.

Then I believe from what I'm seeing it go turn downs

Unsure about the bumper guards, though, and whether the turn-down extensions are available after market.  Thanks,  Ron...

Don't know - have you looked in one of the major supply houses catalogs ? Know the 66 version is
Jeff Speegle

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 11:53:19 AM »
I know the Scott Fuller reproduces exhaust tip turndowns (for cars manufactured 3/65 and later - just after the car mentioned in this post)

http://www.scottfullerreproductions.com/catalog/item/4595229/8979378.htm

Regards,

Ron
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 12:43:35 PM »
Your 2/16/65 K code would have had the Arvinode dual exhaust system which is the middle of the 3 versions Jeff mentioned for '65.

The Arvinode system is reproduced, it should have the rear turn-downs welded to the resonator pipes.  This system would not have had slip-on turn-downs as that was what ended up being used when GT cars began to be made since K codes would have just switched to that version.  GT cars started being made mid to late March '65.

Also, if you haven't noticed, your rear frame rails won't have the reinforced section that is typical of later dual exhaust cars.  The Arvinode system uses a different hanger setup.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 01:12:34 PM »
The only place that I know that reproduces a concours Arvinode exhaust system is Waldron's Exhaust.

http://waldronexhaust.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=61_40_343&products_id=3898

Regards,

Ron
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 01:17:26 PM »
Charles:

Thanks for that great information.  A question, though, regarding your statement:  "Also, if you haven't noticed, your rear frame rails won't have the reinforced section that is typical of later dual exhaust cars. The Arvinode system uses a different hanger setup."  My car (San Jose/2.16.1965) indeed does have the reinforced frame rails.  I can feel them both if I stick a finger in the hole in the frame rail that is just forward of the leaf spring shackle.  And as a point of interest, my car also has the hefty metal-plate "tie downs" attached to the frame rails in the same general area.  Do you think they missed my 2.16.1965 scheduled assembly date by a couple of weeks and it was actually assembled in March?  Or did some mid-February cars also get the reinforced section?  Thanks, Ron.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 03:01:22 PM »
............. Do you think they missed my 2.16.1965 scheduled assembly date by a couple of weeks and it was actually assembled in March?  Or did some mid-February cars also get the reinforced section?  Thanks, Ron.

It would be an easy explanation as we know that the projected build date could be off by three weeks or so from the real date
Jeff Speegle

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 08:05:42 PM »
Would take a picture of the area to confirm.  The style of hangers that require the reinforcement wasn't necessary until GT cars began to be built.

As Jeff says, the door plate date could be off by days or even a couple weeks in either direction.  There are many date codes throughout the car, not just on sheet metal but also on individual components.  Doing some detective work and examining as much as possible could give a better idea of whether the car was built per the scheduled date or before/after.

Might also be a good time to check the snubber plate under the car and make sure everything there is ok.  A pic of that would also help to confirm things.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bartman

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2017, 08:14:27 PM »
I suggest you consider going with the Arvinode exhaust kit from Waldrons. I installed it on my 65 K code last year and absolutely love it. It sounds awesome!  I went with the downspout tips and everything fit perfectly including the X pipe, all the way back from the hipo manifolds. One of the best choices I made during my restoration. The folks at Waldrons were also incredible to deal with.
Bartman

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2017, 09:47:45 PM »
Charles Turner:  I'll try to get those pictures after the July 4th festivities are over.  Thanks for your response.  Ron