1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1969 Mustang

License Plate Color ?

(1/4) > >>

Brian Conway:
A bit puzzled about which California plate would be correct for my 1969 Mach 1 sold on 9/27/68.  I am not the original owner, don't have any of the original paper work , registration or plates.  Question is which color combo plate would the car have gotten in California in September of 1968 ?  Gold on black or gold on blue ?  If gold on black the plate letters would have begun with X, Y or Z ?  Thanks,  Brian

jwc66k:
Brian,
It depends on where the car was sold. A Marti report is the first step.
The current belief is that as DMV offices used up the black-gold plates, they went to the blue plate special (I just had to do that). My 69 VW has blue plates and the registration says first sold in 0/0/1969. The plates are "81x YGx" (the "x" is for security). I don't know where or the exact date. If there is a license plate system in California for blue-gold plates, let me know.
Jim

krelboyne:
Going to turn into a poll. We all have different recollections based on 'where in California' that we lived in the late 1960's.
Lived in the San Gabriel Valley of Southern California during that time frame in 1968-69. Would say definitely Black / Gold plates, XAA to YZZ would be acceptable. In my area the blue plates started appearing on 1970 model year cars. Whether or not they started Jan 1 or before, I don't know.

Brian Conway:
Thanks for the interest and replies.  I did a little looking around on the Ca. DMV site and came up with ' 63 thru 69 black plates and 6 yellow characters '.  That's item 7 on their YOM, year of manufacture, form.  Brian

J_Speegle:
Agreed for 69 and even some odd 70's sold to very remote regions of the state it might be a black plate given that it 9/28 sold car. Have examples of black and gold Zxx xxx as late as Jan 69 and a Yxx xxx in Feb 69 in my database

Unfortunately I don't have MArti information or reports of the thousands of examples I have data and pictures of

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version