1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1969 Mustang

Non-Red Oxide Undercarriage Discussion - Sept/Oct 69 NJ

(1/5) > >>

70BlackMach1:
I'm not sure if I should start a new topic, but I have a circumstance that relates to this thread.  I have a 1970 Metuchen Mach 1 0T05H10B212 built on 9/12/69.  I have owned this car since 1978 so I am sure it hasn't been restored.  I have read other posts in Boss 302 Registry and Vintage Mustang Forums of Metuchen Mustangs in the September/October 1969 time frame with non-red oxide undercarriages.  This includes mine.  Granted, I wasn't thinking of colors when I took the attached pictures, so I didn't do any in depth checking before I had the unibody stripped.  But, I don't see ANY evidence of red oxide on my undercarriage.  It looks to be a pinkish gray similar to what others have reported.  Even where the seat bolt plug protected the paint, it appears gray.  Are these pictures evidence enough if I paint the undercarriage a pinkish gray to match what I see when judged in a car show (see attached pics)?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Barry

J_Speegle:
Barry started a new thread so that we could use a more appropriate title to help others find and to focus on this discussion

--- Quote from: 70BlackMach1 on July 22, 2017, 12:52:42 AM ---But, I don't see ANY evidence of red oxide on my undercarriage.  It looks to be a pinkish gray similar to what others have reported.  Even where the seat bolt plug protected the paint, it appears gray.  Are these pictures evidence enough if I paint the undercarriage a pinkish gray to match what I see when judged in a car show (see attached pics)?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Barry

--- End quote ---

Just a couple of things to start if I may

Guessing that is a "8" rather than a "B" in the VIN you posted "I have a 1970 Metuchen Mach 1 0T05H10B212 built on 9/12/69."

What color is/was the exterior of the car originally?

Picture #4 that you posted shows the outer edge of the rear wheel well. An area that would not have been sprayed by the jets that painted the floor of your car. So not sure where the gray came from there unless its the light gray primer filler applied to the exterior after the red oxide primer coat - in this case possibly applied around the rear wheel well lip/opening.

At this point I'm going to go back through my pictures and notes of NJ cars built during the period of time your focusing on so I can discuss this further. Thanks for all the info on the car and some pictures to start the discussion rolling

70BlackMach1:
Oops, sorry about that.  Yes, it is 0T05H108212.  The car was originally black (Black Paint, Ford #1724-A).

Thanks for the quick response.  Looking forward to hearing more.  I am a few weeks from shooting the undercarriage.

Barry

70BlackMach1:
Attached are 4 posts of reports on non-red oxide primer (pinkish/gray) on Metuchen Mustangs.  Two of which were produced close to the date mine was, the other two don't state.  Could there have been an engineering deviation on the line during a short period to use an excess of left over paint?  Maybe a new production line worker?  Shortage of red oxide?  Anyway, something more to chew on.

Barry

J_Speegle:
First thanks for the exterior color. We needed to eliminate that possibility since a number of the areas your provided pictures from are often well coated with exterior color. We can see what appears to be evidence of that black overspray in at least three of the pictures you posted  The inner seat mount hole in picture #3 is interesting since it appears to show a very dark color, though on a rough surface, far in towards the center of the car. Also very dark on the back side of the torque box of that same picture. An area often not hit with exterior color.

--- Quote from: 70BlackMach1 on July 23, 2017, 03:41:05 PM ---Attached are 4 posts of reports on non-red oxide primer (pinkish/gray) on Metuchen Mustangs.  Two of which were produced close to the date mine was, the other two don't state.
--- End quote ---

Reading the other thread you included now suggest others have found a light red (pinkish) much different from a light gray it would seem. We've seen other plants and time periods where the color have moved more white or chalky they still appear to have a strong base of epoxy red oxide primer sealer. Its not unusual for the red oxide color to vary during the production year for some unknown reason just reporting that there are normally identifiable patterns that develop with these things

If the pictures you first posted truly represent what it looks like in person then I think we have something different from the light red/pink color which is still non-typical of what was traditionally applied at NJ from firewall rearward.

--- Quote from: 70BlackMach1 on July 23, 2017, 03:41:05 PM ---  Could there have been an engineering deviation on the line during a short period to use an excess of left over paint? 

--- End quote ---

You would have to have a process to use or add the paint. Changing piping, handling and such might be a much more involved change that might not been an opinion for a short period of usage.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version